Thursday, March 20, 2008

The House is Very Quiet

I've given up on ever being able to hear out of my left ear again, so I might as well pretend I'm "all better". It is quite disconcerting. Since my intense earache Monday night, I've had this constant ringing/white noise sound in my ear, making sounds all echo-y and distorted. Also making me tone out everything except the essential cries of pain, etc. Add to this that I lost my voice for a few days and can still only talk hoarsely.

I went to the docs yesterday in the vain hope something was infected and not just viral. But it WAS all in vain. My ear infection was clearing up on its own, my throat was not strep, and my eye was not bacterial pink eye. Curses. I've been a very miserable mommy this past week. I've been counting my blessings that Matt has stayed well for the most part (thanks to Airborne perhaps?) and has been wonderful at picking up my slack in the evening and letting me crash.

The only good thing was that I was prescribed some nasal spray for my allergies. I'm still in denial that I'm actually allergic to something in the air. I've had on and off stuffiness since we moved into our house in Maryland. Since I was pregnant twice while living there, it was hard to figure out if it was that whole pregnancy congestion or something else. Now that we've moved and I'm not pregnant but still congested I have to accept the fact. I have an allergy.

The good news is that hopefully it will respond to the nasal spray and I won't have to be on daily pills or anything. I hate that prospect. So we'll see how this goes once this current virus is gone for good. I hate being sick.

If you're still reading, sorry for the whiny post. Since I can't hear the TV very well, this is my only distraction. Until naptime is over that is....

6 comments:

Corinne said...

MAN. I am so very sorry about all the sickness stuff. LAME. My allergies just started up a week ago and I am a basketcase (runny nose, sore throat, headache etc) until I get a few days of Claritin in. I hope you feel better soon!

Cami said...

Whine away. You are having a not fun time! I hate being sick. Sad to hear about the allergies. No good.

Heather said...

Oh Holly. What can I say? It WILL get better. :) Did they do an arm prick test to see what specifically you're allergic too? That's how they confirmed my dust and grass allergies and ruled out animal dander. Somehow it's comforting to know exactly what it is that's making me suffer.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the sicknesses. You already know about all our illnesses this year from my blog so I completely understand! I always feel better after I whine about it and don't mind if other people whine too. I hope your ear clears up soon, that sure is frustrating!

bspeck said...

That is so sad! Sorry for all the ailments...here's to a speedy-ish recovery.

Susan said...

Hi Holly, is it getting better now? Sounds miserable. At least while your pregnant you can always feel like it's temporary, something to bear for the sake of your child, etc, but just regular allergy related sick feelings have no good side!! Except that maybe you understand all those allergy commercials (I don't, so far, knock on wood!)