This year we cut down another tree from the mountains. Logistics were a little better, but we still hit the same road bump as last year: ending up piling in the car just before lunch time with no plans of bringing a lunch along. Subway bailed us out this time. We also strapped the tree to the top of our minivan for the first time. (no rack on our MPV last year, so we took the truck, too)
our picnic spot at the top of Butte Creek
View of Mt Shasta from a different angle
all dressed for snow, but none to be found! (except a small batch by our tree)
Since there was no snow, we drove up a lot higher in elevation hoping to find a red fir, but white fir were all we could find. I think the one we chose is lovely, but I miss having that really bushy full affect. I think it's a noble fir that does that.
cute back pack baby
the kids had fun crawling through this tree, but we missed the shot with the camera.
Matt's ritual cutting with the antique woodsaw continued this year. What a man!
The kids took some initiative and started decorating the tree with some leftover party decorations. Not a bad effect. (those are toys they wrapped for themselves in the foreground)
peek a boo!
Evalyn was excited to help put the star on top.
9 comments:
I miss those forests! What a fun family tradition you have.
i love the tree. its shape is perfect.
What a beautiful mountain! Merry Christmas.
Looks like you had great weather for your outing. I'd forgotten the detail of Matt and the saw. I have to chuckle over the contrast: Oswaldo's always a little worried when we go to the u-cut lot that we are literally expected to cut the tree--oh the relief a farmer with a chainsaw gives him! :)
Your tree is beautiful. I'd love to try that adventurous approach someday... if hubby is willing. Oh, and if you want bushy, I think you're wanting douglas or grand fir. Nobles look a lot like yours, just a bit fuller. But I guess you already knew that. I'm going to bed now!
Lovely shots from your outing. Must have been just beautiful. The tree is charming, but more so the faces of your little ones around it.
Way to go getting a REAL serious tree. Looks like it was a fun trip.
I love that you just hike into the mountains to get your tree. Awesome pictures :)
I love your tree. It's not so dense that it allows for easy hanging of ornaments.
Your hair is getting so long! I love it.
so cool! yes, if we got tags and knew where to look (and wanted to endure the trek) this would be fun for sure :) I think when the boys get a little older they could handle it!
That is a great journey you all took :) love it!
Post a Comment