Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

Friday was Evalyn's first day of school. Her very own first day of school since we were still traveling back from the East Coast on Wednesday when the rest of her class started! More on that later.





She picked out her new princess backpack before our big trip and was very excited to wear it to school and have it on the plane. The weather was/is still pretty warm so no new school clothes until it cools off a bit!




She really likes her teacher and two of her friends from church are in her class, plus some kids from her pre-school class. So far she is only one of two kids who get picked up halfway through the day, the rest of her class are Extended Day and have lunch, an extra recess, and story time and get out the same time as the 1st and 2nd graders. I guess alot of kids have older siblings or parents work so it's easier that way. But another friend's kindergarten class is the opposite: there are only 3 Extended Day kids and the rest go home at noon.

I'm kinda torn on what would be best for Evalyn. Part of me knows she would enjoy the extra socialization time, but she is already so tired coming home "early". Maybe we'll switch her after Christmas or something. We'll see how she does with a half day for now I think. The only thing she's mentioned so far is that she wanted to eat lunch at school with her friends.

In other kid areas, I dropped the ball on soccer sign-ups so neither Henry or Evalyn will get to do that this fall. : ( SO, instead we joined the YMCA and they are each taking a gymnastics class once a week. Henry during the day and Eva after school. And because it was only $10 a month E is also taking a 30 min ballet class once a week. Maybe it sounds like alot, but I think it will fit their active "I'm bored" personalities just right. : )

So here is a blog post. Finally. It's been a very very busy summer and I'll try to do a quick bullet point summary... in my next post. With lots of links to my sister Heather's blog who HAS been a great blogger of our family reunion and all the activities there.

3 comments:

Susan said...

a happy, excited look on Evalyn's face. We're so glad we got a few seconds to see you again. That schedule sounds like way too much for me, but you've always been doing like 9 times more than me!

Denise said...

She is so cute. There were two options for kindergarten for us last year, but the kids who stayed the whole day had to pay $3000/yr. Now that this is the first year of full day for us I'm really glad that we didn't do it last year. I'm a little nervous and sad about this year.

Alison said...

Wow... she's so big now. I love her haircut.