Friday, January 04, 2008

REcycling and Diapers



Sometimes I wish Ashland wasn't on the other side of a 4300 foot mountain pass. Recycling may not be a huge reason, but it's one of many. We've been topping out the largest rollcart/garbage can that Yreka Transfer supplies each week. So I'm looking at ways to reduce our refuse. I guess we were spoiled before in Beltsville where we had 2 pickups a week and it didn't matter if you put out something extra. Here they charge you $2-5 bucks an extra bag. I didn't realize how much we actually tossed out. And that's with filling 2 big plastic recylcing bins every other week.

They do have recycling here in town, but they only pick it up the last Thursday of the month and it's pretty limited: newspaper, aluminum cans, cardboard, glass, only 2 types of plastics that aren't CA redemption. NO greyboard (cereal/cracker boxes/packaging). That is a huge part of our trash output, aside from diapers. And no yard waste either, that I could find.

So I decided to look to Ashland and see if they had a place I could drop off whatever Yreka Transfer won't take. They have not let me down. There's a great little recycling center that takes almost everything, and it's not too far from the Inner Child Cafe that I'm so in love with. : ) Now to find a place in our garage to store the extra recyclables between trips over the border.

All this waste talk has made me think again about using cloth diapers. It's the poopy ones that make me cringe. bleh! I don't even have to ask Matt about that. If we did the switch I'm sure his terms would involve me doing all poopies. I think one of my reasons for not doing it before was because the laundry was in the basement and our bathroom was too small. Well, those obstacles are both gone so now what's my hold up??? I really really wish g-diapers were affordable, that seems like the best of both worlds. You flush the liner away where it gets treated as sewage and you just reuse the covers. No poopies to scrape and wash. Nothing ends up in a landfill on a weekly basis.

And I bet cloth diapers would help Henry want to potty train a bit more.... then we'd be down to just one in diapers!!

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I did cloth diapers with Sheely for about 6 months, during our darkest financial hours (I washed them at my parents house, an hour away, because we didn't have a washer). It was a work of love, I tell you :)

Heather said...

Whoa. Corinne amazes me. Now I feel dumb for giving up on cloth diapers when we were in a coin-op situation... except that Mom's W&D were 4 hours away. Anyway... the poopies really aren't that bad, especially with older kiddies. You can do it! I know you can! :D (and I will too, 'kay?)

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

We did clothe diapers for a year with Camille. I loved those Fuzzi Bunz..never thought I would do the whole cloth diaper thing but it worked well for us. The fuzzi bunz were so soft on her bottom(never had diaper rash), easy to keep clean (seriously just throw in the washer, no soaking, and a little bit of dryer time). It really did save money and eased my mind a bit in regards to the environment. If I hadn't already given my set to a friend I would ship mine to you. Good luck with your decision.