Thursday, March 27, 2008

Easter Sunday

The kids woke up to Easter baskets in the window. They had fun with the playdoh and ate some candy. Later we got dressed and went to church, but the kids were still runny nosed so Matt came home with them while I stayed to do my Primary Sharing Time lesson. By the time I got home Matt had our whole dinner heated, cooked and almost ready to sit down to. What a man! (He should've been napping though since the youngest two were.) I had fun taking some pictures: the lighting and colors and contrast with our new table were irresistible.





We'd dyed the eggs Saturday late afternoon. That was a riot! Within the first few minutes Henry fished a BLUE dye tab out of a cup and put it in his mouth, thinking it was candy. I freaked out, scrambling for the package to make sure we didn't need to call poison control or something. (Of course we didn't) He looked so funny with this bright bright blue mouth! To add to the fun, after successfully coloring an egg, he pulled it in half and commenced eating it, only somewhat avoiding the shell. Meanwhile Evalyn was in color heaven, dropping in eggs, checking their status and having a blast. She is a pro at this since she's done it with Grammum every Easter since she was big enough to hold an egg. Plus she's at that age where every week she has new favorite colors. (Pink-Yellow-Green is the latest triumvirate.)



Back to Sunday: After eating our early dinner the kids waited impatiently by the door for the all clear. We kept talking about having to wait until the Easter Bunny hid the eggs. Evalyn would counter in return, "Daddy, I think you should help the Easter Egg Bunny!" Ah, she gets the game already....

Of course it was fun watching them dive into the yard and discover the somewhat hidden eggs. Henry was having a hard time at first (see his crying face in one shot), some unknown 2yo drama. I had to hold his hand for a bit before he ran off on his own. I just love the bright colors of the eggs and the zaniness of it all. Treasure hunts are such fun!



I'm glad I was able to teach the Easter lesson at church. It was the same one I did last year in Maryland with a larger group of kids: The Clues of the Resurrection. I liked it better this time, even though the visual aids were all the same, (pictures, walking stick, coins, linen cloth, large nails, jar of ointment) I really felt the message more because I was familiar with the process. Instead I was able to really share my feelings at the end. And I think the children felt it to. That made the spirit of Easter more meaningful to me. That hope in the Resurrection, the newness of life.

4 comments:

Cami said...

What a fun Easter! What would it be without a blue mouth, eh? The food looked great and very beautiful. Good job.

Corinne said...

Awesome. And I must say, I am envying that LOVELY window where the baskets were found :)

Kellie said...

Beautiful pictures of the table! I'm glad your Easter Sharing time went well and that the day was so pleasant.

Heather said...

This is a wonderful post, Holly! I love all the pictures and commentary. I want a copy of Linnea in the pink petal dress. And that Henry... Oh my. :) Your Easter table pictures are beautiful. Someday I am going to have a red wall. I always was a copycat, eh?