Monday, November 10, 2008

An Early Snow and Marking One Year

(post-dated)

Here's some quick pics of a little early November surprise (the 5th). And a belated One Year Anniversary of relocating to California from Maryland (the 9th). We were supposed to get rain that day with temps in the high 40s. Instead almost an inch of very wet snow! It was a fun surprise. And thankfully melted the next day or two. I'm not ready for the backyard glacier yet.








I LOVE this snowsuit. Partly because I got it at REI's 75% off clearance sale when E was a baby and all my kids have worn it now. And partly because it's so good at keeping toddlers warm and dry and easy to get them in and out. Except the boots. There are no good warm, waterproof, traction, flexible soled, easy to get on and off toddler boots (size 5-7 WIDE) that I've found yet. Fill me in if you know of some. Plastic bags over socks in whatever their normal play shoes are is my stand-in.


Hard to believe that a year ago we'd left our first home in the early morning and flew across the country. It was a rough first few months. It seems like it wasn't until this summer that things started to feel more homey. Friendships growing, establishing ties, just time really. I still have bouts of homesickness for our Maryland home and friends and family there, probably always will. But change is constant and even if we were transported back, it wouldn't be the same. That sounds kinda lame. What I mean is: you remember parts of high school or college or whenever fondly and have this hankering to be back there and live in that feeling. But its more the feeling of that place and time and it wouldn't be the same to relive it. Something like that.

I remember one winter afternoon especially as a point along this journey to Here. I was driving home from an escape to Ashland (the fabulous Inner Child Cafe before it closed) and shopping in Medford (when I still needed a Target fix. I'm mostly past that now.) The kids had fallen asleep and I'd turned on my playlist of music. I'd just crested Siskiyou Summit. It was an overcast day but the clouds were high and the mountains were covered in snow. The song Landslide came on, performed by Peter Breinholt and Nancy Hanson. I'd been feeling especially homesick and lonely that day, wanting that "bosom friend" to hang out with and have play dates and all that. Add to that the exhaustion of hauling around three young kids. So this song came on as I was decending the grade and I started sobbing. All the words spoke to my heart and the message was one that I so needed to feel. You'll do okay. Change is okay. Even now I get choked up listening to it.

Well, I didn't mean to write so much about this but I'm glad I did. And I'm glad we're here.

6 comments:

Denise said...

What a nice post. I'm totally crying. I hope I will feel the way you do in 7 months on our one year anniversary. You give me hope.

Corinne said...

Oh friend. Change is so good but so hard. I'm glad you've made it to the one year mark and that you're happy :)

Susan said...

We miss you guys still! (And not just when the kids play in your old playhouse outside.) I'm glad things are getting more homey. Come stay with us when you come back to visit though!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Wow, snow! I can't imagine! I can relate to your comment about homesickness and hankerings...they can hit deep to the core so quickly. Even though we move a lot, the first year is always the hardest for me. So congratulations to you and completing your first year!

Kellie said...

This touched me. I think it might be time for a little iChat. Miss you, friend, but I'm so glad to hear that Yreka is feeling like home.

Jana said...

Has it really been a year already? How does time fly that quickly? We miss you guys, too. I'm glad you're happy, and I've always felt that although there would be things you'd miss about MD, this move fit who you guys are so perfectly.

PS- I love your marathon posting on my blog. You're like the best commenter ever.