Saturday, January 31, 2009

Busted

After 16 years of driving it finally happened. I got a speeding ticket. : ( I was coming back from Medford late last night after an afternoon of kid-free errands (which included a peaceful solo dinner reading a book while eating a bison burger at a new-to-me local/organic sandwich shop). I was enjoying some tunes on my ipod and was coming down I-5 just after Hilt before the ag inspection station. This is the longest straight a way of the trip and the elevation descends rapidly. It's near impossible to keep the car under 80 just coasting. So of course that's where the California Highway Patrol officer is sitting with his radar gun on a very dark starlit night and he clocked me at over 80 and had his lights on before I new what hit me. Curses.

My contentment was shattered. As I sat on the shoulder with blaring lights in my eyes hoping without hope that I'd get off with a warning I repentantly felt I'd got what was coming to me. I was just mad that it was coming down a hill like that and makes it seem like I'm always going 20 miles over the speed limit when I usually lock in the cruise control around 70.

So the officer comes back with the ticket, explains that I have to go to court and I'll be explained my options with the possibility of going to traffic school to keep it off my record if this is a first offense. And so I creep the remaining 15 miles down I-5 with my tail tucked between my legs, barely topping 60, mentally bidding farewell to the few hundred bucks I have stashed for a digital SLR. sniff.

I'm one of those people that in the moment of an intense situation I'm very clear headed and detached emotionally. But after it's all over I fall apart and the whole world comes crashing down. So by the time I got home all I felt like doing was escaping to the computer and catching up with blogs til I was tired enough to fall asleep. But I was feeling too glum to leave comments. Sorry blogging friends! If you're still even reading my neglected blog.

But it's a sunny Saturday so I'll do my best to think about gardening and spring despite the thick frost on the ground and icey permafrost on the north side of the house. Or maybe I'll just stay on the computer all day finishing the posts I started weeks ago. Hmmm. At least I did some yoga for the first time today in almost a year. I'm not very good. Very beginning stage of watching something on TV and lacking straps and bricks. Plus I have a cold so it's hard to do the breathing. But I love that toned and stretched out rubber band feeling afterwards. I think I need to start out with less time. I was dead after a mediocre hour of it while also craning my neck to see how some of the less familiar poses were done. Any tips?

3 comments:

Denise said...

Oh, you poor girl. Take it from me, you should go to traffic school. It is no big deal and it gets it off your record. I've been at least 3 times :0)

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Bummer about the ticket...just be glad the kids weren't with you...Adam got a ticket last year and my son still talks about it, watches the speedometer religiously, and worries about getting in trouble with the police!

Regarding the yoga. Good for you. I also started back up with yoga in the past six months and it feels so good. I always do best with a class (see if a local community center has classes...they are usually less expensive). If doing it at home, I'd say find a video you like and stick with the same routine every day for awhile. Or just put on some nice music and do the poses that feel best to you right now without craning your neck to watch the tv teacher. Whatever you do, do it at own pace and just focus on breathing and relaxing. Wish we lived closer because we could start our own little practice!

Anonymous said...

The only speeding ticket I got was at age 19, in the middle of the night, on my way back to So. Cal. from backpacking with friends. One of those friends had to be to work early a.m. I was the only one awake and the speedometer on said friend's car was not fully functional, but I knew I was probably over the limit. Hard to tell for sure since there were no other vehicle on the road in the middle of nowhere.... Until someone got on the freeway and zoomed up in the right-hand lane and kept pace with me for a few moments. Right about the time my brain registered what was happening, the flashing lights started. Probably didn't help that I was driving barefoot.

As for the yoga... save up for a Nintendo Wii and the Wii Fit balance board. I am finally doing yoga... at least more than I've ever done before... and doing strentgh training 4 to six times a week, and aerobics... and my weight and BMI are finally moving downward.... my posture's even improving... and it's fun! especially because it's tracked and I'm participating/competing with family. (End of commercial)