We celebrated Henry's third birthday yesterday. I made him a Wall-E cake and we played Pin the Plant on Eve and he had fun opening his gifts: Toy Story and Wall-E stickers and books, constructions set, lincoln logs, a genuine Slinky Dog and a t-ball set (from Grandma).
That's the simple story. The backstory is Matt was out of town most of the week and our computers were both at the service dept getting fixed which required a couple 2 hour roundtrips to Medford, one with all three kids in the late afternoon (argh!). We had a series of late naps and late bedtimes so by the time Thursday afternoon rolled around, I was still figuring out how to assemble and frost the cake and everything was behind schedule, was being a Nazi-mommy having been "on-duty" three days straight, and was still feeling bad for not being more on the ball and having a playgroup party for him. Matt grilled some dinner while my perfectionist self obsessed over the cake and I think the party finally started around 7:30, not too bad except for the state of everyone, except Henry. He was good to go and just wanted to open presents. So that was that craziness. Between Christmas gifts and birthday presents, Henry finally has a modest collection of real boy toys. :)
I didn't think the frosting tasted that great, but apparently the kids did! I'm planning on posting about making the Wall-E cake, along with about 5 other drafts, ha hah.
Oh, and the best surprise of the week was Henry deciding to potty train himself. We've been practicing on and off for the last couple months with good pee success but not so much with poop. So I told him on his birthday "no more diapers" and that very afternoon he sat on the toilet to poop all by himself and has been so independent since. Yay from Henry! He's also been doing well with his speech therapy, but more on that later.
7 comments:
Holly, that cake is awesome! I am very impressed and I am going to make sure Noah doesn't see this post because his birthday is coming up soon and I know he would want me to make one....but I just don't have that talent or patience. Looks like it was a great celebration and hopefully you can now take a few days to just relax :)
Your little boy is absolutely adorable. Happiest of birthdays to him. (And, might I say, that was one heck of an impressive cake!)
I'm curious about your comment about his speech therapy. My JAM had a hugely significant articulation delay that was officially diagnosed at just over 2.5, but I had had a gut feeling that things weren't right for quite a while before that, even though everyone was telling me to not worry. When he was finally tested, he was in the 1 percentile. (yeah, 1-- no typo.) He had speech therapy from age 3 to almost 5, and now I don't think anyone would ever know talking to him. (He's still got a very slight difficulty with "R," but other than that, he speaks wonderfully!)
I'm glad to hear you all are doing well!!
that cake is perfect!! I really am interested in trying it for my soon-to-be three year old (in April) I can't wait to see our instructions on how to do it.
Both my boys love wall.e, they walk around he house pretending that their eyes are focusing on things and making the wall.e sounds :) BOYS! they are so cute.
Thanks for sharing this with us all.
i can't believe no one else mentioned "pin the leaf on eve." uh, more information please? sounds a little bachelor-party-ish to me!
Wow, that is an impressive cake! And what a perfect post, the top leaves me just thinking, "Wow, Holly sure has it together, what a great mom." then I keep reading and think "Wow, Holly sure is amazing! How does she do it all?!? What a fantastic mom!" :) I liked getting all sides of the story.
And I can't believe Henry's so old! We just came across a picture with Henry when he was just barely walking!
Cool cake! I hope you get around to doing that post because I'm very curious about how you did it.
And congrats on the potty training! I'm amazed and impressed (hope my son does that easily).
Okay. So I haven't seen Wall-E and that would probably explain my reaction to the "pin the plant on Eve" game... LOL
That cake is quite impressive, between you and April (last year's Lightning McQueen cake), I don't stand a chance! ;)
Post a Comment