Friday, October 23, 2009

New To Us Oven

Yet another project to document is the new wall oven. When we first moved in, we took one look at the tiny ancient wall oven and decided to replace it. So we found a great deal in the local paper and bought a used new-ish one for $200. To install it required some minor cabinetry work and some electrical so this was a job for Super Dad.

The original time frame got pushed back because of other projects in that first 6 months that were higher priority. So the oven sat in the garage. And sat. And sat. It became a surface for coats and car items and whatever else needed to get set on it. Finally enough was enough. We were tired of tripping over it and having it take up space in the garage. Plus with my growing belly and the prospect of hosting Thanksgiving dinner rather then venturing on the road at 36 weeks, we wanted our larger nicer oven installed please.

So my parents came down to visit us the first weekend in October, also Conference Weekend in our church where we hear talks/sermons from our prophet and other church leaders on Saturday and Sunday in 4 different 2 hours sessions. So we were a little tight on time, but my dad was very efficient and able to cut out the cabinetry, wire the new outlet and install the new stove all on Saturday.




The upper cabinet had to be cut away for the taller oven. He was able to move the frame-plate thing up, cut the doors and voila! Once I spread some wood filler and paint on it, you'd never know the difference.



By Sunday morning we were enjoying Orange Rolls (I use this recipe but for the filling I prefer this one.)baked in our new bright and shiny oven. Oh, and we even baked potatoes on Saturday night! These were huge russets from my parents garden topped with homegrown sweet peppers. Yum.



I'm still getting used to the front hinge rather than side hinge like the old one. That was the only nice thing about the old oven: being able to open it like a microwave and reach right in to check the food. But for all the other features like digital temp control, timed baking, TWO shelves and enough height to bake two cookie sheets at a time, I'm in baking heaven.



I was a tiny bit sad to see our old oven be demolished and heaped in a pile, but it really was time for something new. (It wasn't nearly as traumatic as seeing our beloved sofa crammed into the back of that garbage truck in Maryland. I seriously did shed tears about that. ) The new one is safer, too. The kids can touch the door without risk of burning themselves which was a very real concern with the other one.

I'm sure I could've told this anecdote in a much more creative way, but oh well. I still have at least 3 posts or other going-ons to catch up with!!