Friday, October 23, 2009

Painting the Door Red

I'd been meaning to do this little project sometime this summer, but never got around to it. Then I saw a friends post (Thanks Melissa!) about her recent door remodel and realized my window of time to do this project with a couple of days that weren't too cold was rapidly shrinking. So last weekend I bought a quart of paint just did it. (Well 2 quarts actually, including the primer, and some new sponge rollers. So frustrating they don't sell PINTS of primer and paint for small projects like this!)

The scuff marks and boring white paint has annoyed me since we moved in. But it's one of those things that you stop thinking about once you get inside versus interior walls that you stare at ALL the time. : )

Evalyn was excited when it started out pink. It only took two top coats. And of course with Mommy painting, the kids wanted to paint too! Evalyn even painted a picture of her very own red door. It was pretty cute. (I wasn't in the mood or had time for her to "help" me paint the actual door, so I was glad to see she came up with an alternative after her tantrum.)

























So now I'm not sure what to do about the screen door. Obviously we should paint the trim work around the door white (currently blue) to match the rest of the trim work. But I'm not sure if we should
A) paint the screen door red or ?? as well
B) remove the screen door entirely or
C) replace the screen door with something else.

It's nice have the screen as an extra barrier/sound/light/ventilation option. But it's not the most amazing (or terrible) screen door in the world. It's certainly lacks curb appeal.

It would also be nice to be able to add some sort of porch cover or complete redo the steps/porch layout all together since it's really just a functional stoop and that's about it. If you ring my doorbell when it's raining or snowing, you'll get very wet without an umbrella! Not very hospitable or welcoming if you ask me. But of course, a big project like that is just one of many on my list of "ways to make our house better."

2 comments:

Salemgardener said...

One thing in favor of keeping the screen door is to let in more sunlight (under the right weather conditions) without letting in bugs and cold... or letting kiddos out.
Mom

Cami said...

This is funny. I've been wanting to paint my door red and THEN get a screen door. (Too many flies for every door to door salesman!) So thanks for the ideas. I think I may get a screen or glass door that shows more of the door though, or else what is the worth of a red door?