This afternoon while Henry was still napping, Evalyn and I went outside in the almost pleasantly warm weather to eat popsicles. Or in her case, happily hold the popsicle and watch it melt. I think she likes the idea of eating a popsicle and what it entails more than the popsicle itself: asking and receiving, choosing a color, going outside sometimes, eating it with Mommy or Daddy, etc.
So after finishing mine, I went back in and got a cup and fork to facilitate the eating process. After I transferred her stain-your-clothes-cherry-red-sicle to the cup and mushed it into perfect slushy bite-sized chunks, she decided she was all done. (argh!!)
But I know my little girl and had a hunch that she really did want it but needed help. So I took a bite of the cold slush ("Mmmm! This is so good!") and then fed her a bite ("My turn Mommy!"), just like spooning food to Henry. My turn, her turn. As I lifted the fork and offered her a bite she says to me, "Do you want to eat a birdie, Mommy?" I paused for a split-second, smiled and remembered the bird flying to the nest game. "Of course I do." Then we ate some airplanes and trains, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment