We were working in the garden today and Evalyn discovered worms. I found one while re-edging my garden bed and called her over to see. She didn't want to hold it at first, so I put it back in the dirt. She kept coming back and watching to see where the worm went. When he'd disappeared in the ground, she started digging around to find it again with no luck.
A little later I found another worm and called her over again. This time she wanted to hold it and took it to her own dirt pile. I just watched and listened as I worked, wondering to myself what she'd want to do with it. She kept asking "Where should I put it?" I responded, "Worms like to live in the dirt." It was fun waiting to see how long it took her to think of putting dirt in a cup to make a home for it. Sure enough, "Should I put dirt in a cup? Should I?" She repeated to herself as she filled a cup with dirt and wandered away with her new little pet. It was a treat watching her.
1 comment:
always learning, aren't they? i loved when I finally convinced Sheely to hold worms :)
Post a Comment