![]() |
| Cherry Blossoms and Kites |
The night before our outing she'd gotten in her head that there would be horses (a carousel) and balloons at the festival. Maybe we'd mentioned "downtown on the Mall" and she thought of the carousel at Columbia Mall or something. Who knows! But from the moment she woke up she kept asking about seeing the horses and balloons. Fortunately for us, there WAS a carousel on the Capitol Mall that we rode after strolling the blossoms and flying our kites. It was great kite weather with a nice strong breeze and sunshine. We also stopped in at the Natural History Museum and looked at the animals and dinosaurs on the first level. After that we were all tired and made it home in time to catch most of the first session of General Conference. Whew! It was a fun day for everyone. Even if Evalyn didn't get a balloon.
I had fun flying my pink elephant kite. I love kite flying. I haven't done it enough since I was a kid. There's something exciting about having this piece of fabric or paper and sticks rise in the air and soar with your anchoring it to the ground. One year when I was 8 or 9 probably we made kites for the 4 older kids and then flew them in a big field in town. It was a lot of fun and made us all feel like kite experts since we "helped" our parents design and make the nylon and wooden dowel kites. I remember mine had a stenciled Cabbage Patch kid, Heather's had a lightbulb, and Adam's was a lighting bolt and cloud. Fun memories. I want my children to have that same feeling.

3 comments:
I love kites too. I remember taking Sheely and Xavier to National Kite Day on the mall before I was pregnant with Xavier and we had SUCH fun. It was truly magical to see so many kites in the sky at the same time.
Tom's was a big kiter as a kid/youth. He actually used a sewing machine to make complicated kites. Reading your blog, however makes me want to get out and try it more though!
Oh yes! I remember our kites. Mine was green field with yellow light bulb. I can't for the life of me remember why I picked that design. I'd forgotten yours had a Cabbage Patch doll on it.
What a wonderful outing! Oswaldo and I were just fantasizing about taking our little family on a DC trip, spending a week or two in the area with his family (and mine, if you haven't floated off somewhere...) and going to all the museums. You DO realize how lucky you are to live so close to so many amazing and FREE museums?? :D
That's funny about Evalyn and the carousel! Isn't great how their minds work?
Post a Comment