Monday, July 23, 2007

Henry is 18 Months Old

Today was Henry's 18 month visit to the doctors (his actually date of turning being Sat the 21st was a little overshadowed by Harry Potter....). He weighed in just under 27 lbs and is 34 inches tall. For his age that is 60th percentile for weight and 90th for height and head circum. It's fun to compare his height/weight to Evalyn's checkup a month ago: She is only 2 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller! The only sad part was shots: TWO! One in each arm. Poor guy, for the first one he gave this heart wrenching silent cry that took a minute for him to breathe before the nurse gave him the 2nd shot. Definitely made my eyes water. But he recovered after a bit and was back to his normal self. Whew!


So what does Henry like to do these days? He loves to climb anything and everything: the kitchen drawers, the table, dresser drawers, any elevated surface really, people, the stairs (where he chants his own version of "subé" from Dora), and most recently out of his crib. After a week of very long bedtime routines we resorted to buying a crib tent to contain our little Houdini. So far so good.

His favorite games are Pile on Daddy, Torment the Cat, Peek-a-Boo, Avoid the Carseat Buckle, Throw Toys Down the Basement Stairs Through the Cat Door, Eat Anything That Looks Interesting (dirt, sticks, playdough, rocks, crayons....), Pull His Sister's Hair (especially when she's sad or cranky), Swing on the Hammock, Splash in the Bathroom Sink While Squeezing All the Soap Out, Clear His Tray onto the Floor (the moment he's "all done"), and Remove All the Couch Cushions, just to name a few.



He has a handful of baby signs that he does consistently, with some variations/sounds. Moon, Please, Hot, Stars, Hat, Lights, Ceiling Fan, Doggy, Kitty, Fish, Bird, Cow, Horse, Elephant, and probably a few others I can't think of at the moment. He loves animals, much more than cars or trucks. Maybe that's just because his older sibling is a girl so we haven't acquired a vast collection of vehicles thus far.... ; )

He loves shoes, especially wearing other peoples. He gets a cute little smile when he dresses up as Prince Eric or whoever when Big Sister is dressing up in her Princess outfits. He loves to fill and empty shelves, toy containers, the Tupperware drawer over and over. Fortunately for my sanity he's getting better at putting things back "in" when he's dumped them out. : ) He loves books, usually shorter ones with easy turn pages. His all-time favorite thus far is HUG by Jez Alborough.

He is cutest when getting ready for nap/bedtime and finds his paci, puppies and gives little kisses before dashing up the stairs. He is a little more into the TV than he probably should be at this age, his favorite show being Curious George, hands down. Other shows he'll usually wander away from, but not Curious. He loves it. Especially the music at the beginning.

He's acquired dozens of nicknames, mostly from Evalyn. Here are a few: Henny, Henny Boy, Henge, The Fella, Felly, The Little Fellow, Henry Monster, The Monster, Monkey, The Hoo Hoo, and Hoo Hoo Hah (these last are a derivation of Evalyn's nickname "The Boo" or "Boo Boo Bear").

We love our little fella and all the cuteness and joy he brings to our family. He is a very sweet and easy going boy with a desire to please and discover the world around him.

(A note on the photos: Matt shot these on his Nikon with Kodachrome film.)

9 comments:

erinmalia said...

those pictures are really great! i'm impressed.

Cami said...

Wow, what a fun boy he sounds like. I like the nicknames. Funny how those evolve.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! What a big boy he is! Just to compare, Tanner (3 yrs in Feb) just weighed in at a whole 26 lbs and is about 37 inches. I've never heard of giving kids shots in their arms. And we usually get 2 nurses to do it at the same time to get it overwith. Poor guy!! It makes me really exhausted to hear all the "fun" things he does. It'll just get better too! = )

Susan said...

Great write-up, awesome shots. Henry is such a darling character!

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to Henry (and his family)! I wish I had done what you young moms are doing as far as documenting daily life as it happens. It's really not possible to do it justice retroactively.

I love the pics... Good job, Matt! I have the middle one (cookie in mouth, hand on chin)as my computer background at work now. The dark background works well... how'd you pull that off? Maybe a slow shutter speed and/or wide aperature with some lucky lighting?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lani,

I am embarassed to say that Henry is buckled into his car seat in these shots....I was about 2 to 3 feet away using a 50 mm lens. These were taken after a long car ride to the beach in May. Despite that, Henry was in surprisingly good spirits, as you can see.

Corinne said...

happy boy@@

Heather said...

I am thoroughly impressed by those portraits! Especially now that I know they were taken at the end of a long drive. I want one of them on my fridge. :)

It's so fun to hear what he's been up to lately. Sounds like Katy's list of favorite activities. Funny about the animals versus cars. Katy likes to play with cars--she calls them "beep beeps"-- because that's what Ben plays with, but you should see her with anything dress-up related... the girl loves clothes, the frillier the better! I suppose I should get around to giving her a doll sometime.

Kellie said...

Beautiful pictures-they completely capture his wonderful little persona. What lovely remembrances for you and him to look back on. I need to see your kids soon-I miss them (and you of course!)