Check out this video. It's long but has a good message (watch the first 2-3 minutes to get the gist). This is one of my pet peeves, store clerks who use 20 bags to bag 20 items. I just wish I could remember to bring my reusables more often!
I hear you! I haven't managed to go canvas yet, but I have been remembering to ask for paper instead of plastic, and the paper ones are somehow easier for me to remember to reuse, especially when they have handles.
I appreciate it when the cashier at asks me if I want a bag, if I'm only buying one or two things (this tends to happen at farmer's markets and natural food stores, I've noticed). And I appreciate that at Trader Joe's they carefully pack your bag as full as they can.
The first time I went to Walmart after my boycott, I noticed a little sign saying that I could ask for paper bags if I wanted to. So I did, and the girl didn't know quite what to do. So I bought about five medium-smallish things, and she put them into THREE paper bags. When I got out to the car, I put everything into one bag and folded up the other two. Of all the places I shop, I think Walmart is the worst offender for over-bagging. I also think my comment is longer than your post and the video combined. Sorry. :)
When I first read about the ban I had mixed reactions: we USE those plastic bags all the time. Tom prefers them to take his lunch in, all our small room-size garbages are lined with them, and well, when I don't go to the grocery store for a while (meaning only going to Costco for a few weeks in a row) we run out and don't know what to do with ourselves! But I DO throw a lot of them away, if they are in any way dirty or when they get holes. I used to recycle them... And last thing: I too use them to wrap a stinky diaper in, but I always feel terrible like I'm trying to make it even harder for the environment by encapsulating the thing!
don't get me wrong, I definitely USE whatever bags the clerks give me for diapers, trash liners, etc. And I think I've acquired enough reusables now for even my biggest shopping trips, but I have a very hard time remembering to bring them to the store!! fat lot of good they do me at home...
one of the forums/listserves I subscribe to had a thread just yesterday asking people what they use in lieu of the plastic grocery bags for household stuff. I think it's a log-in forum, but if you're able to access it I was surprised at the creativity in some cases.
5 comments:
Yes, I need to GET some reusables. Funny video.
I hear you! I haven't managed to go canvas yet, but I have been remembering to ask for paper instead of plastic, and the paper ones are somehow easier for me to remember to reuse, especially when they have handles.
I appreciate it when the cashier at asks me if I want a bag, if I'm only buying one or two things (this tends to happen at farmer's markets and natural food stores, I've noticed). And I appreciate that at Trader Joe's they carefully pack your bag as full as they can.
The first time I went to Walmart after my boycott, I noticed a little sign saying that I could ask for paper bags if I wanted to. So I did, and the girl didn't know quite what to do. So I bought about five medium-smallish things, and she put them into THREE paper bags. When I got out to the car, I put everything into one bag and folded up the other two. Of all the places I shop, I think Walmart is the worst offender for over-bagging. I also think my comment is longer than your post and the video combined. Sorry. :)
All right, all right. Maybe when I'm done with diapers, I'll go bagless, but until then, I NEED all those bags to wrap the stinkers in!
When I first read about the ban I had mixed reactions: we USE those plastic bags all the time. Tom prefers them to take his lunch in, all our small room-size garbages are lined with them, and well, when I don't go to the grocery store for a while (meaning only going to Costco for a few weeks in a row) we run out and don't know what to do with ourselves! But I DO throw a lot of them away, if they are in any way dirty or when they get holes. I used to recycle them... And last thing: I too use them to wrap a stinky diaper in, but I always feel terrible like I'm trying to make it even harder for the environment by encapsulating the thing!
don't get me wrong, I definitely USE whatever bags the clerks give me for diapers, trash liners, etc. And I think I've acquired enough reusables now for even my biggest shopping trips, but I have a very hard time remembering to bring them to the store!! fat lot of good they do me at home...
one of the forums/listserves I subscribe to had a thread just yesterday asking people what they use in lieu of the plastic grocery bags for household stuff. I think it's a log-in forum, but if you're able to access it I was surprised at the creativity in some cases.
Post a Comment