Not very well lately. We planted a small garden this year, one Early Girl tomato (nice and meaty), one cherry tomato (100 Something...), two cucumbers, two zucchinis (wish I'd done one yellow summer squash as well), two cantaloupes (shriveled up after awhile) a row of corn (needed more nutrients and water(!!) to flourish) and a hill of watermelons. The peas and carrots never really came up from the seeds we planted.
Despite fencing-in the garden to keep cat, kids and the occasional bunny at bay, my dear children managed to pull the only largish watermelon off the vine prematurely, pick most of the large green tomatoes and snap a couple ends off the climbing cukes. Sigh. The cherry tomatoes are doing well though. Our corn stalks will make great Halloween decor, crispy and yellow although it's not even September!
We've had a rather dry summer and since most gardeners/farmers out here don't irrigate and I've been lazy at watering, the garden hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. But it's been good to eat the few harvests and Evalyn and Henry have sure enjoyed it!! There's a neat feeling to eat food that you grew yourself, or rather that the dirt and sun and rain grew in our case. I feel like the parable of the unwise steward or something where they plant the seeds but don't watch over the crops very well. Maybe I just combined two parables in that analogy.... I don't think any thieves would want to break in and steal our crops though.
(I forgot to post this last Monday when I wrote it!)
1 comment:
That's got to be frustrating, having such eager harvesters to "help" you! I agree that it's such a good feeling to eat food straight from your own garden.
Post a Comment