Monday, August 04, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now the Smoke is Gone...

Today was the first day in several weeks that we could see Mt. Shasta again. The smoky skies have made this summer feel like Beijing or LA with it's hazy acrid air from the wildfires. One evening last week I was feeling so depressed by it that I could easily imagine day to day living from some apocalyptic post-nuclear disaster. we're talking one mile visibility. smoke as thick as fog. Ugh.

So today this sight was quite literally a breathe of fresh air. inhale...... exhale....... ahhhh. That's better. Nothing like that damp morning air with cool scents wafting in the window. The yellow streaming sunlight as opposed to the pink haze-swathed glow was another clue to the change. I haven't heard yet whether this is merely a reprieve due to weather conditions or if the fires are finally burning themselves out. (update: the two major fires closest to us are now 60% contained. but more thunderstorms are rolling in... let's hope there are no new fires this season!)

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I've never lived in a wild fire zone. Your comment about living post apocalypse made me think - I don't know if I could make it either!

Heather said...

We were so astonished to see how thick the smoke was that evening we spent there. I can't imagine a whole summer of that!

Susan said...

I'm glad it hasn't been a danger for you! In DC you get snipers and what-not, in California it's earthquakes and fires! Have you already lived in Tornado and flood states too?