Saturday, July 26, 2008

To The Bat Cave!

We didn't see any bats, but it was a fun family outing! We recently learned about some nearby lava tubes dubbed Pluto's Cave that seemed like a doable family hike. They are in the vicinity of the lavender farm so we did both in the same outing. We packed some water and flashlights then set off on the trail. The kids were very excited about going in a real cave. Since they like my headlamp so much, I'd found some kid one's on clearance at Wal-Mart that they were especially excited to try out.

It was a short trail to the cave, only 1/3 of a mile. But very rocky! It dawned on us that the kids don't even own a pair sturdy shoes that fit them. They've both outgrown their tennies and like to wear their Croc's everywhere we go. They managed fine in them but their feet got very dirty. Next hike we'll definitely plan that part better.

At the end of the trail, the cave entrance was at the bottom of a little gulch accessed by a short steep path. Matt and Henry made their way down while the girls and I waited for Matt's help. They got to the bottom and walked a few steps toward the dark shadowy cave. Henry suddenly changed his mind and hightailed it back up the rocks and grabbed my hand, pulling me back down the trail to the car. After a few inquiries we deciphered "scared" and "want to go home" from his responses. Hmm. what to do.

Gradually I coaxed him back down the rocks to the cave entrance, one step at a time, assuring him we wouldn't go in we'd just look from the outside. After we got to the bottom again and he saw Daddy and Evalyn walking in the the very open yet shadowy entrance, he followed right along without any hint of his initial fear. Go figure!

It's a very open cave with several sky lights along the way. It didn't feel much tighter than a metro/subway tunnel. We only went part way into the true cave/tunnel part. This was far enough to get the feel for the place but not push the limits of our very young hikers. So we quit while we were ahead and enjoyed the fresh dust-free air when we emerged. (I discovered that bat guano and dust make me sneeze excessively. Pack of tissues or face mask for me next time!)




On the walk back to the car down the sunny hot trail, we had a little conversation about the Mormon pioneer children who traveled with their families as they came from Missouri and Illinois to find religious freedom in the Salt Lake Valley. They walked many miles a day and were often barefoot. We sang the Primary song "Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked"

Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked.

Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked.

They washed at streams and worked and played. Sundays they camped and read and prayed.

Week after week they sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked AND walked.


It's a simple song but tells the story of this great westward trek in a way young children can relate to. What kid doesn't know what it's like to be tired and forced to keep walking when all they want is to stop and rest or get a ride somehow??

It was appropriate too since that was the Saturday before Pioneer Day (a state holiday in Utah) and the next day we drove up to Ashland where our stake (regional congregational organization similar to a diocese) had a fun activity commemorating it. I'd like to say that I planned it that way but it really was coincidence.

The pony ride was the highlight and both kids did fabulous riding, at a slow walk of course. Evalyn's pony was a bit frisky, but she held on and giggled as she was jostled around in the saddle. (It brought back memories of riding our neighbors horses when I was a small girl.) There were some other fun games and relay races planned, but Matt stayed for them with H&E while I multi-tasked the day and did our Costco/gas/shopping errands while we were up there. It worked out well and we were home by 2PM to still enjoy the rest of our Saturday relaxing.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

What fun! Those caves are fun, aren't they? I like those short adventure kind of trips.

Cami said...

I LOVE caves! Fun! You reminded me that I need to get shoes for my boys for school. Perhaps I'll take the horrible trek to the store today. Ugh.

The Gerharts said...

We went to a cave here in Colorado two weeks ago, but it doesn't sound as primitive and neat as Pluto's Cave! How fun that the kids got to ride ponies too! Evalyn and Henry are so cute (and big)!

Sarah

Corinne said...

My kids would kill for those headlamps :)

Heather said...

Hmmm... I wonder if I could persuade my fraidy cats to give that one a try...

Love the shot of Linnea over your shoulder. What a doll!