Friday, July 25, 2008

John Adams and Jumper

We just rented Jumper. It was dumb. Totally a special effects poor acting/storyline with some language/sex/violence for the PG-13 rating. Interesting concept, cool effects, I'm sure the book is much better. If it's in your queue or what not, you won't miss a thing if you pass on it.


Contrast that with the best movie, acting, content that I've seen in awhile: HBO's 7 part mini-series John Adams, now on DVD. (If you have your Costco July coupon book, there's a $10 off coupon towards the back.) It is based on the Pulitzer Prize winning book of the same name by David McCullough. I learned new things and re-learned so many simple yet amazing facts about our country's founding. I knew relatively little about John Adams before watching this. His and Abigail's relationship was so touching. Jefferson, Washington, everyone seemed so real, so authentic, exactly how I'd expect them to be. Not that I know what it was really like then, but for one thing, their teeth were falling out towards the end. They showed the shaved heads beneath the powdered wigs. I never knew the details behind some of the diplomacy that went on in Europe. Or how precarious our country was in those first few decades.

Whether you're a history buff or just like a wonderfully long love story of a man for his wife and country and family, watch this. I was skeptical as I put it in the basket per Matt's request, but I'm so glad I did. Very moving. The bonus material about making the movie was great to watch at the end. A definite must see.

The End.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

We've really enjoyed the Johnny Adams as well. It's an amazing time and group of people.

Beware though that when they suggest tarring and feathering a guy...look away! You've been warned.

Cami said...

YES! I agree on both counts. I knew Jumper would be dumb but we watched it anyway. Hey, this is coming from a woman who just watched The Pacifier, just to kill time while nursing. Ugh.

John Adams was really great. We watched it over a month or so, but it kept our interest and really helped me have a new perspective on the American Revolution and everything surrounding that. Wow. VERY well done.

Heather said...

Okay, I think I've figured out what to get O. for Christmas! :)