Monday, July 21, 2008

Lavender Fields Forever

This past Friday we went to some nearby lavender fields. We are big fans of lavender in all it's forms. Matt and I stopped at our first one during part of our honeymoon on the San Juan Islands. Pelindaba Lavender Farms wasn't in bloom when we were there, but they had an excellent store and beautiful grounds, of course.

The next one we visited was in Pennsylvania the summer Evalyn turned one. This was during their festival so there was food for sale, classes on growing lavender, a walking tour of the farm, etc. The place was just getting started and the setting was a field off of a country road with the rolling Catoctins surrounding the valley. It was fun realizing that the girls were about the same age in these two shots.




A few years later we find ourselves near Mt Shasta Lavender Farms, so of course we had to visit while the little purple flowers were blooming. We drove toward the east side of the Shasta Valley, near the town of Weed, down a country highway and up a long winding driveway. It was a gorgeous morning, the heavy smoke had lifted slightly but there was still a white screen to the mountain views. As we drove along the same route we've taken our out of town friends and family, we laughed that we STILL couldn't see the mountain from this point!



The setting was stunning. The whole Valley spread out with it's fields of hay and alfalfa and grazing pastures. Mt Shasta was amazing even shrouded in smoke. A very tranquil place to spend the morning, indeed. The kids were drawn to the water fountain and sandy pathways. In the center a little labyrinth maze drew them in as well. It was oh so lovely breathing in the scents and gazing at the views, sipping lavender lemonade and taking a bajillion pictures. Maybe next year we'll coordinate outfits and hire a photographer to take some family shots there. (Wanna fly out Kellie??) I was hoping to catch Linnea taking some steps, but no such luck. She's on the verge!


7 comments:

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

oh, I love those pictures!!! I need to go there :) thanks for sharing such a sweet spot. I have tons of lavender to plant at our house, but it won't be ready to harvest this year....hopefully next year. I love making (but mostly eating) lavender scones..yum. It is a fun and fancy scone. I need to try lavender lemonade, I had not ever thought of that!


Happy days to you and your family!!

Denise said...

Those pictures are amazing. What was the baby holding? It looked like an animal. She sure is steady on her feet. Luke isn't even interested in standing yet.

Kellie said...

Truly, truly idyllic. I would LOVE to come and visit you at lavender time next year. Lets get it on the calendar!

Stacy said...

I didn't know that Lavender fields existed. Looks very pleasant and relaxing.
Hard to believe Linnea is already trying to walk. Garrett was about the same age I think. It seemed too early in many ways.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

I also love lavender...looks like a great outing. And yum, lavender lemonade. Have you ever been to the Lavender festival in Sequim,WA? It would be a fun family trip or girls weekend. I wish we could grow lavender down here but I think it is way too humid.

TracyS. said...

Beautiful! I can't believe Linnea is trying to walk already!

Heather said...

Ah lavender. My friend Stephanie, from France, tells me stories of walking at twilight with the breeze wafting the fragrance of lavender fields over her...

I've decided I love lavender (partially through Stephanie's influence). So much so that we considered using the Spanish version for a middle name, but the translation is "lavanda" which is to close to "lavando" or "washing" It just wasn't going to work. I wonder what the French word for lavender is...?

BTW, Aunt Diana has a cunning lavender wreath in her half bath. I'd love to figure out how to make one.

What do you think of Lucia's suggestion about the lavender festival in Sequim? Should we make a go of it next year?? :D