
They are all identical blocks, so it's not that technical and I can chain each step as I go along. The pattern is one big square, cut from 20 fat quarters randomly stacked, evened out and squared (that was the tricky part!). The big square is then cut into 4 smaller squares. Each of those are cut into three strips and the center strip into 3 parts so you have a small center square. The final step is to "shuffle" the center piece in each stack so you'll have 80 unique blocks. 1st stack: move the top square to the bottom, 2nd stack: move the top 5 to the bottom, 3rd: the top 10, 4th: move the top 15.
The fun part about this design is discovering what each block will look like as I move along. Which prints/solids will match up with the others? Will those two favorites get paired together? My skills are very rusty though and my original cuts weren't perfectly straight. I can see already that things are a not very square, but I didn't have high hopes for that anyway. I'm just looking to have a whole quilt finished and usable instead of fabrics on the shelf!
I was trying to think back to when I started quilting and was drawing a blank until I called my mom and picked her brain. We narrowed it down to her visiting Matt and I in the fall of 2003. I made a baby blanket for the first grandbaby/niece and then took a class to make this pretty 3-D wall hanging. (It is pieced but needs still needs a binding and backing and all that jazz.) I've collected a sizable stash and several quilting books, but somehow having children has limited my free time and I've circled from hobby to hobby in the interim. But I always bounce back!
Mainly I needed a scheduled class to get me out of the house instead of sitting in the office/hobby room on my "night off" trying to decided which unfinished project I should finish. So I decided to start another project of course! :D
7 comments:
WOW. That's all I can say about that project.
I am impressed! I can't wait to see the finished product.
I love projects like this-simple in theory, but building on that simplicity (squares and circles) to make something quite complex and interesting. It will be fun to see it come together!
Oooh, that looks so beautiful! Quilting is something I really want to get into. I guess I chose photography first, but my next burst of energy will include a sewing machine and little squares of fabric!! Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.
I am very excited about your project! You are a real quilter--I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see what develops!
Holly, you are your mother's daughter. (the unfinished project thing)I feel like I should apolgize. However, if that's the price you pay for being creative and enthusiastic, then so be it!!
The quilt looks facinating!
Mom
Julia's baby quilt is still sitting around waiting for me to have enough time and energy to do something about it... I've only managed the six easiest blocks, but it will be so cute when it is done. Maybe I need a class too, to push me toward the finish line! :)
Post a Comment