Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apple Crisp

Okay, I had a few requests to post my apple crisp recipe. I've fiddled with it a bit because the single recipe amount is never enough in MY opinion. Plus if there's any extra I can always find someone willing to clean the bowl out (usually me). ; )

I use a pastry blender to get everything well blended. I used to use my hands, especially as a kid, but it's much more efficient if you have a pastry blender on hand! Another nice tool is an apple-peeler-corer. I use mine regularly all year long. Just rinse off to clean and pop it back in the cupboard. Great for picky kids' snacks. And makes for super easy homemade applesauce.

oh, and this pic from Martha makes me want to host some amazing fall party.... I LOVE the fall!


Holly's Apple Crisp

4 c sliced apples (peeled as well, if you prefer) about 4 medium sized

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened (add a bit more if it seems too dry)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8x8 dish and place apples evenly in bottom. Mix dry ingredients together and then blend butter in with a pastry blender. Sprinkle over apples and bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on how soft you like your apples and how brown you like your topping!

Double this for a 9x13 w/ 6-8 cups apples

good luck!

2 comments:

TracyS. said...

Uhh- I think I know what I'm making for dinner now:) Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love a good apple crisp. What variety of apples do you use?

holly b said...

@tracy I tend to go with tarter apples because I like the contrast in sweet/tart flavors. But any apples or a mix is fine. I'm sure an apple expert would say something else!