Sunday, September 06, 2009

Sunday Afternoon

We have been overdosing on apple crisp this weekend. We ran out of the store bought apples so we tried our luck with the tree in our back yard. Henry and Evalyn helped pick about a dozen of the best looking apples. Holly and the kids fixed the dessert as I pecked away on the computer at the kitchen table. Holly exits to knit or read, or both at the same time.

And this is the scene that played out:


Scene:

Daddy, slouching at the computer. Evalyn and Henry going in and out of the house at leisure, keeping the door open throughout.

Characters: Evalyn, Henry and Daddy.

Evalyn: MMmmmmm! I smell something good from the oven.

Daddy: You do?

Evalyn: Yep! Daddy, is the apple crisp ready yet?

Daddy: Nope, not until it goes 'beep-beep-beep-beep."

Evaylan: Oh, awright!

...5 minutes later. Running in and out of the house.

Henry: Daddy, is the apple crisp ready?

Daddy: Nope, not yet buddy. The oven needs to go "beep-beep-beep-beep." Why don't you look for some more airplanes.

....20 minutes later apple crisp is cooling on the stove top. Evalyn sees the apple crisp cooling off on the stove top.

Evalyn: Daddy, it's ready! (beelining to the stovetop).

Daddy: No! Evalyn DO NOT touch it is VERY HOT!

Evalyn: I am just going to see if its done.

Daddy: It's DONE, EVALYN!. It just needs to cool.

.....Oblivious, Evalyn gets a giant spoon from the drawer and digs in.

Daddy: Evalyn!

Evalyn: It's okay, I am just testing it. I am not going to eat anytying.

.....Evalyn, procceds to eat without burning her mouth.

Daddy: Awright, then. (Evalyn walks outside.)

....5 minutes later -- Evalyn re-enters.

Evalyn: Daddy, I just cannot keep my mind off that apple crisp.

Daddy: Well, then! Should we have that for dinner instead of leftovers?

Evalyn: Okay!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Now you've got MY mind on apple crisp. Care to post or send a recipe? Which apples do you think work best? Thanks!