Sunday, August 05, 2007

Henry v. The Cabinet

The other day I walked into the family room to check on Henry. This is what I found:

Notice the right hand side of the door is missing part of it's frame. Yes, it's on the left side of the door now! (I removed the precariously balanced glass before grabbing the camera.) Normally these doors are kept locked. That's why we bought this particular model from IKEA, to keep our electronics in working condition. : ) The key lock he broke a week or so ago from pulling too hard. So I put another type of child lock on the handles. The child lock held, but not the wood frame!

Henry was shoving small objects into the VCR compartment as fast as he could, like a chipmunk in the fall or something.... Fortunately I was able to extract the toys without too much trouble.

My only option after this incident (that I could see) was to remove the broken door, detach the VCR/DVD combo, and stick it high on the shelf to keep it out of reach. It just baffled me that his drive to play with the VCR slot would be so strong as to pull and pull until the door broke!

Later that day Daddy came home and saw the aftermath. He turned to Henry with a smiling scowl and said "Henry, how am I supposed to watch Spiderman now?" (Note: This is the original Spidey series from the 70's that he bought on DVD off of eBay. Live Action, not animated.) Evalyn thought this was pretty funny. The last couple of nights she'll be sitting on the couch and see the banished player on the shelf. Then she turns to Matt and says in the same tone he used with Henry "Matt, how are you supposed to watch Spiderman?" (She has this thing about calling her daddy "Matt" about as frequently as she says Daddy or Dad). Talk about a precocious child!

So we still have Tivo to keep the kids occupied when needed. No slots in that machine that Henry's discovered yet. Someone suggested getting a broken VCR at a thrift store for him to play with. That would certainly occupy the busy fellow for awhile!

I've been very lax with TV watching lately. From being just plain tired to trying to get various decluttering and "house for sale prep" tasks, plus having toys packed away and headed for the storage unit, the TV has been on a lot more. I should come up with better ways of occupying them I suppose...

4 comments:

Heather said...

I knew the kid was strong, but that's crazy!! Is the wood frame repairable? Maybe if you put wood panels in place of the glass or somehow frosted or coverered the glass so he can't see what's inside, he'd be more likely to leave it alone?

holly said...

Yes, but then the remote control wouldn't work either. ; ) I wouldn't put it past him even if he couldn't see in! I wonder if remotes work through frosted glass.... hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Wow... good thing he has a gentle personality! My mouth just dropped open when I looked at that picture and saw that he had torn the door frame apart. (Maybe you can get a replacemnt door if it can't be reassembled.)

By the way, it's nice that your reaction is more amazement than anger.

Corinne said...

OH MY. That is some serious brute force! He REALLY wanted that vcr!!