Monday, December 31, 2007

Jane Eyre: Masterpiece Theatre 2006




I stumbled upon this Masterpiece Theater movie last night on PBS and was instantly enthralled. THE BEST adaptation of Jane Eyre out there. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it earlier. I love what this Amazon review says about it:

You may think the world doesn't need another adaptation of Jane Eyre--but you're wrong. This new and wonderfully lush Masterpiece Theatre version, directed by Susanna White (who directed the equally sumptuous miniseries of Bleak House starring Gillian Anderson), contrasts Jane Eyre's vivid inner life with the harshness of her outer life; both Georgie Henley (The Chronicles of Narnia) as the young Jane and newcomer Ruth Wilson express the inner vitality of the outcast orphan girl whose spirit captures the heart of the rough, charismatic landowner Mr. Rochester (Toby Stephens, Die Another Day). Stephens, it must be said, is far too conventionally handsome for the part, but he makes up for it by capturing Rochester's abrasive and mercurial temperament. (Wilson's looks are perfect; at one moment she seems awkward and homely, at another utterly luminous.) Jane Eyre is so often remade because the story is so potent; this production brings all of the novel's juice and passion to the fore, emphasizing the characters' sensual experience while staying true to the restrictions and mores of the period. All in all, exceptional. --Bret Fetzer


But don't order it from Amazon, try Overstock.com first. Right now the two DVD set is $18.73 with only $2.95 shipping. I love a good deal. : )

Anyway, I actually haven't seen the second half yet. I was sorely disappointed when the climax was nearing and bam, stay tuned for next week. But I'm sure it will be as excellent as the first part.

8 comments:

Gretchen said...

If you're into Jane Eyre at the moment, you should read "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. It is AWESOME! I stayed up late last night to finish it. (it has some bad language in it ... just fyi)

Love me a good Masterpiece Theater! Thanks for the tip!

Heather said...

That's so funny that you watched that movie! We watched it just a few days ago and LOVED it. O's first exposure to Jane Eyre, and he can't wait to watch it again!

Cami said...

I am going to have to watch ALL Jane Eyre's one of these days and figure out which I like best. Hey . . . that's a good reading getaway idea . . .

holly said...

cami, it would definitely have to be in some period B&B somewhere or an actual mansion. too bad a destination trip to England is too out there. but the Northwest in the winter is a pretty close match!!

Heather said...

I agree, Holly. O and I kept commenting on how much the scenery around Thornfield in the movie was like our rainy, misty, gray NW winter. :)

Anonymous said...

I have trouble understanding British dramatic actors for some reason. Funny thing is that I can watch "Prime Ministers' Questions" on CSPAN without any trouble.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was writing as "Anonymous" earlier...jollygood!

Kellie said...

I love this version. All the girls stayed up all night at our family reunion this summer and watched while we ate trifle. Then, my sweet sis-in-law gave it to me for my birthday. I'm glad you enjoyed it.