Friday, June 13, 2008

A Weekend Away From it All

"This is Heaven," I said as we pulled into the drive leading up to the cabin in Mill City, Oregon this past weekend. For a late Mother's Day present, my mom, two sisters, and myself left our kids and obligations behind for a couple of days to do the things that we always want to do when we get together but never get around to doing.

The weather wasn't the most accommodating: drizzly Friday, cloudy and cold Saturday but perfect on Sunday morning when we checked out! The cabin had a cozy wood stove, a hot tub that April and I wasted no time in enjoying, a lovely porch surrounded by blooming rhododendrons in a rainbow of colors, and sounds of the swift North Santiam River trickling in every window. It was a perfect little place that we're all planning on returning to. Here are the moments that stand out upon reflection:

* listening to Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food on the drive up. (Fascinating overview of "nutritionism" as he puts it. And rather short, only 5 CDs. Highly recommend.) As a consequence, I was quoting from it to my very tolerant family all weekend. : ] "The book said..."

*project time on Friday. Me: scrapbooking my still unfinished wedding album, April: sorting the boxes of "to be filed" papers that've made several moves un-filed, Heather: Baby Julia's darling purple quilt, Mom: baby blankets for grand-babies.

*luxuriating in the hot tub to the sounds of the flowing river, flowers all around, and fir trees towering above. It was the first time in a long while that I haven't been pregnant when there was a spa to be enjoyed!



*eating the best pizza EVER down the road at Mountain Pizza on Hwy 22. Oh, and their perfectly delicious with little crystals of frozen ice cream milkshakes! April and I arrived awhile before Mom and Heather joined us so we indulged to hold us over. At only $2.50 each they were so good I'd pay twice that in gas just to have one.

*laughing hysterically with Heather while we creamed M&A in Pictionary.


*Vermont Steamers by the crackling fire. Listening to soothing music.. Being laughed at for my silly yet very useful headlamp (while knitting by firelight).



*"christening" the bamboo fly rod Matt made for me, sadly I only caught a branch and lost a good caddis nymph. The river was near flood stage so the flows were high and casting room scarce. But it was fun trying!



*yummy chicken salad croissant sandwiches enjoyed below "mystical" moss covered trees on a nearby walk. and the banana splits later that afternoon..... (golly we sure ate a lot!)

*waking up to streaming sunshine on Sunday morning, way earlier than I wanted to after a late night of watching Miss Potter and playing Abalone with Heather.

*enjoying the bridges in Mill City, especially the sign "No Jumping From Bridge" posted above the churning waters.


*catching up with old friends after church in my "home ward". wishing I lived that much closer....

*eating sunflower seeds (shelled, salted) to stay awake on the long drive home after a sleep-deprived weekend. The view of Mt. McLaughlin is stunning as you enter the Rogue Valley. Not quite as grand as Mt Shasta though... ; )



*the chaismus of lighting and mountain views lit with golden fading light as I departed and returned the same time of day through the Siskiyou's.

*returning home to a clean home (thanks honey!) and my beautiful children running to hug me when I walked in the door.

Definitely a once a year treat that I hope we'll get to enjoy again and again. Thank you to everyone who made it possible!!

6 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, oh, oh! That really does look like heaven. Awesome. I shall follow you example and just book a cabin RIGHT NOW. It wouldn't be SO bad just with one little smoochy, right?

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

okay, I need to know where this is!!! Do you have website for booking?? We really need to get away soon, and this does look like the perfect place.

BTW I am from the Nook and live in Corvallis....


Let me know if you have an info on it that you are willing to give me!!! I always love finding good places in the area. (:

Heather said...

Sigh. That was a great getaway. I enjoyed your slant on things. :) I also enjoyed all our In Defense of Food discussions. ;)

Corinne said...

OHHH I am having a jealousy. I want to go Cami's cabin too :) OOHH, or a NOOK CABIN FULL OF FRIENDS!! Almost as good as my mommy and sisters :)

holly b said...

@Cami of course little smoochy would go! we obviously had a baby in tow. :)

@bethany: I'll send you the link!

@heather: glad I didn't drive you too crazy! you hardly need to read it on your own now... ;)

@corinne: THAT is exactly what I thought. How could we get a cabin full of nook friends together?? I think we'd need a bigger one than this place though.....

rick and cheryl said...

Looks so much fun. I am jealous. I'm so happy though that you were able to get away and enjoy some time with yourself and your family.