Monday, February 02, 2009

Speech Therapy and Pacifier Banishment

Henry finally started speech therapy the beginning of December. He is doing very well so far and we are already noticing improvements. He really responded well to Gwyn, the therapist that came to our home twice a week. The sad part is, it took us so long to get him in the system that he had to transition to a new therapist when he turned 3. Now he only gets one 30-min session a week with Mr. Martin. But he seems to do well in a "clinical" setting, meaning fewer distractions and he focuses well. And we finally quit the pacifier just after Christmas. It was rough for a few nights but we got through it. And naps are hit and miss now so that's less of an issue that it was before.

It's been an interesting few months learning where Henry stands and what he needs.

For those of you not intimately familiar with our little man, here's his back story. And maybe our small adventure can help another family in a similar situation.

When Henry was an infant, he had a strong interest in the pacifier and would want to have it in his mouth, but he couldn't hold it in no matter what tricks we tried. At all his early well-baby check ups I mentioned this to the ped and they would check out his mouth and say he was fine or that they'd never heard of that scenario before and say he'd grow out of it, etc. Finally around 7-9 months he could keep the paci in without us having to prop it. After that, he would keep it in his mouth whenever he could and we were pretty lax with trying to save it only for naps/bedtime. Maybe this had something to do with it, maybe not. My gut says yes.

He is a very smart sweet boy and had fun learning baby signs around a year old and continued with the dozen or so that we introduced. He wasn't saying a whole lot of comprehensible words by 18 months, but because he was a boy we weren't overly concerned. We also moved around that time and had a new baby in our family so he got more time with the paci during the day than he would've otherwise.

At his 2nd year well-child exam I expressed concern about his lack of coherent speech with our new pediatrician. Her answer was to get rid of the pacifier and that boys can often take longer. But I felt like there was something more to his delay and wished there was something else to do besides wait and see. In hindsight, I wish she would've said, "If you're really concerned, talk to the Early Education Office through the county schools or Far Northern Regional Center to have him evaluated." But she didn't. Most likely because she didn't know.

A few more months passed and I finally got around to emailing a couple friends about resources to try and they both suggested going through the local school system. By the time I got around to contacting them, the school year was just ending and whatever request I submitted didn't seem to get to the right place. Finally in September I called back and was given the name and number of the coordinator for the under 3 kids. Within a week of calling her, she was at our door and evaluated Henry on all his abilities. His speech score was extremely low, as was expected. She mentioned that his strong pacifier use wasn't necessarily the cause for his oral motor delay, but often is a compensation for something else that isn't doing right. Something about regulating. This made us feel a little bit better! We also had his hearing checked by an audiologist so it was on record that his hearing was perfect and not a contributing factor.

Finally he was evaluated by the speech therapist and she was able to zero in on his lack of muscle tone in his tongue and lips: flacid is the technical term. Plus the open bite from the pacifier usage. : ( The first test she did with him she couldn't even get a score because nothing he said matched up with what she was asking him. He also drooled frequently and had developed many compensation techniques for getting what he wanted. The most obvious: forcefully pulling on our hand/finger/sleeve until we followed him and we tried guessing what he wanted.

By the time this report was submitted, it was another few weeks before we met to discuss an IFSP so he could start therapy. All the while, his window of time for at home therapy dwindled to a couple of months. In hindsight, it's not the end of the world that he didn't get therapy sooner, but I'm sure he'd be saying more coherent words by now if he'd started at 2 years instead of 2 years 10 months!

It's hard to convey a kids personality and abilities in writing like this. Henry is a smart bright boy. He hears the smallest sounds and looks for tiny airplanes in the sky and loves finding bugs and watching them (or dragging me by the hand to show me what he found). He's always saying things and getting excited about things around him. But his inabilty to make more than vowel and B, N, T, etc sounds and not be able to connect them kinda limits his communication.

He really enjoyed working with Gwyn and getting to play with bubbles, balloons, blowing toys and other therapy exercises. And of course he loved the fun toys she brought that he'd get to play with as a reward after the exercises. (The girls liked this part too because they got to join in at the end!) Now he goes to the speech therapy room at the Early Education Offices by the county schools. I think the setting is good for him since there's not "home" distractions and he gets to go do something fun away from the house, just like Evalyn gets to go to preschool. I just wish he could get two sessions in a week but the county is really short on therapists/tume. If you know any speech therapist out there looking for a job, let me know!

Just before Henry turned 3 we met with the county to do his ISP. Gwyn had coached me a bit going into it and answered a lot of questions for me. So when I was concerned that he didn't qualify for any preschool services (because we don't qualifiy fininancially for the state prechool program and his only impairment is speech) I asked for them to put that in the notes. And again when I was concerned about the small amount of time he would have for therapy each week, I made sure they put that in the notes as well. Depending on how well he does in the next 5 months, maybe those issues won't matter. But I wanted to have them in the notes so that IF by June he's not improving with his plan, I have grounds to say "Look! I think he needs more therapy time. Or: It might help him to be in a preschool environment a couple days a week to learn how to communicate with people outside his family or be more stimulated with language."

The thing that Matt and I both felt coming out of that meeting was: the middle class really gets screwed sometimes. We weren't poor enough for Henry to get free preschool. But we are a single income family that doesn't have gobs of money to throw around and pay for two kids to be in preschool. One is enough of a stretch (which is mostly why Evalyn is in 2 half-days a week and for only half of the school year). Not that preschool is the most amazing thing in the world. In some ways it just seems like glorfied day-care and I'm glad Evalyn gets to come home at lunch and be with us. While there are definitely social skills and rules that kids learn in that environement, I don't think not going to preschool will sentence your child to poor academia for their entire lives. That's a "whole nother" topic entirely though.

The other thing that we felt was that Henry is one of those kids who might easily fall through the cracks of the Early Ed/Special Ed system. If his speech delays weren't so significant and in so many areas, the results of his evaluation might have been "He'll grow out of it". And what if he didn't? When I was 7 or 8 I took speech therapy for my r's that sounded like w's. After the IEP meeting Gwyn mentioned that they're being told to not qualify kids who have only one articulation delays. That's really sad that a lot of kids won't get that help. I still feel sensitive about the way I talk even though I know I talk "normally" now. Imagine being a kid who knows they talk "wrong" and nobody will give them the help they need?

Another area that Matt and I are concerned about: Henry doesn't have a lot of friends his age. Is this because he's a middle sibling and he just plays with Evalyn's friends? Or that the kids in his social group at church are in the next class up because of birthdays, etc? I keep comparing him to Evalyn and remembering that she had at least 3 or 4 kids her age that she'd request to play with or invite over, etc. Is it because he's a boy? Or because he isn't understood by his peers? I notice that I get pretty protective of him in different situations where he's being excluded. When we were planning his birthday party this really dawned on me. Who were his friends? We couldn't think of more than 1 or 2 kids that he'd probably ask to invite if he was more vocal about it.

At this point I want to make myself feel better and say: because I AM home with my children I can provide the things they need that Head Start programs attempt to give to lower income children that their family's often don't or can't provide. I should count my blessings. While a really amazing Montessori hands-on preschool environment would be something most kids would enjoy going to, I can also provide a lot of that environment in my own home if I made that my priority. Add to this that having a very verbal big sister as a "speech mentor" and stimulator for conversations is a huge help for him. In these ways, he doesn't need preschool because he gets alot of whathe in his home environemnt.

I should also be grateful that an oral motor delay is Henry's only developmental obstacle at this point and that he IS getting help for it and in all likelihood by the time he starts kindergarten he'll talk just like any other 5 year old there. Or, at the very least, they'll be able to understand him!

The end. Thanks for listening. :)

8 comments:

Stacy said...

Holly, so sorry you're having a rough time with his speech development! I think your ped at the 2 year visit missed the boat on getting him evaluated. At Garrett's 18 mo check (when he was 20 months) the dr. suggested having him evaluated "just to see where he's at" because he was only saying 3-4 words and should have been saying at least 8. I, honestly, wasn't too concerned yet because my other 2 boys were a little slow until they were 2 and then their vocabulary exploded. It took about 2.5 weeks to get him in to be evaluated and they determined that he was only mildly delayed and didn't qualify for intervention. I was thankful for that and they gave me some paperwork that had pointers on how to help him myself. (let me know if you want a copy)
Something that interested me was how you said that he wouldn't keep the paci in his mouth. That was like Ethan. He would start to suck on it but then it would pop out of his mouth a second later. I figured he didn't want it. He nursed well though. My mom is the one that noticed that he was tongue-tied and at his 2wk check the doc clipped it. (he can stick his tongue out REALLY far now ;} ) He eventually became a thumb-sucker and I would notice that he wasn't ever really sucking on his thumb. He would sit there with his mouth open kind of licking his thumb. He didn't have any real delays except he was like you in saying his R's but had outgrown it by around 4yrs. Anyway, just interesting.
As far as friends...Tanner's 5th bday is coming up and I'm trying to think of his friends and can only come up with 4. It was the same for the older ones too. I wouldn't worry about it. I always feel like inviting people that they really like instead of inviting the whole class that they don't really care for anyway.
I hope you can stay positive about it all. Maybe try to work with him whenever Evalyn's at preschool. He'll get it.

Jessica said...

Holly, thanks for taking the time to write all that--it was very interesting. And you're right, it might help someone else in a similar situation.

I hear you about the middle class getting the shaft! I guess that's why the politicians spend so much time talking about us. ;)

Hunter is tongue-tied so I am constantly listening to his speech to see if I can find any problems--esp., is the a lisp? Right now his speech is still kind of muddled, but he's also two, so I'm waiting to see what will happen. Great information about contacting the local school system--I would have never thought of that.

Finally, about the friends, I wouldn't worry about it. Both my kids are kind of friend-poor, but they seem to really appreciate the few they have.

Best of luck with everything, I'll be reading to see how it goes.

sjnagel said...

I really enjoy reading about Henry. Did you know we wanted to name Harper Eugene, Henry Eugene? Well, at least I did. Matt (my Matt) won that argument.

To some extent I can relate to your situation. Harper, who turns 3 in April, has been in speech therapy for months now.

Harper is just mildly delayed. He probably wouldn't even qualify now if he weren't already enrolled.
But, OH, the anxiety of getting him into therapy brought me to tears a few times. I felt like such a neglectful mother.

I didn't read to Harper as much as my other two, I didn't interact as much, He watched more TV...
AND Harper is a huge, HUGE binki kid. I have to hide the thing when the therapist comes over (even though she knows he uses it) because I'm so embarrassed that he still has it. But it's a godsend when nap time rolls around and I just can't bring myself to take it away yet. If his speech weren't improving so much I'd be more concerned about it. But I need him to nap more than I need to not feel embarrassed.

Fortunately, Matt and I are living on a teachers salary in a wealthy county so we don't have to pay for anything. I can't imagine having the stress of $$ as well.

It's all so unnerving isn't it? Does it help to know that other moms are dealing with the same things?

And I think friends are highly overrated. They just teach your innocent children naughty words. :)

Good Luck with it all and thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Well written Holly. Even though we haven't had speech issues, I think your whole outline follows concerns we've had for our children and how long and frustrating the process can be to figure things out and get help for them. We are in the middle of feeling that "the middle class is screwed" part because the appropriate educational helps for our kids are expensive and we too don't qualify for the financial aid side of things, but there's no way we can really afford much.

The worst part is like what sjnagel wrote "I felt like such a neglectful mother" because if you're doing stuff about it it can take over your life and you have other things that have to be done (like feed the kids some dinner!) so it's a balancing act in advocating for your child and keeping your lives balanced.

Doug said...

Hey, Holly. I have a friend who put her daughter in speech therapy. She was ignored by her pediatrician, and the school system but she was educated and persistent (like you). If you go to my blog you can link up with her under "Jenny and Ed". Savvy stuttered and more than just stuttering, by 4 1/2 or so, she was becoming embarrassed, flustered and self-conscious. When speech has effected the child's self-esteem it is a real problem. You are right to address it while he is young. Be aggressive even if you have to mortgage the house....uh, well. See what's out there and as it is so easy to navigate government bureauocracies, maybe you can find some loop holes that might qualify you for assistance. Are you positive he only has ONE speech problem? You know what I mean? Good luck.

Doug said...

Oops. I didn't realize I was logged in under Doug. This is Heather Tanner, by the way. At least it was "Doug" that had all the misspellings;)

Kiasa said...

Wow! That is a lot to handle. It sounds like you and Matt are doing a great job with Henry and figuring out what's next to help him.

It has been interesting to watch Isabella in her various "social circles"...with "church friends" she's ahead, but with "city friends" she's behind. I often have to be careful not to compare (on either end).

I've also wondered with this second baby (a boy) if he'll just end up playing with Isabella and friends, just because that's where our time will be.

You guys are awesome! Henry is so blessed to have you teaching him!

Cami said...

Oh oh OH! I feel your pain. This is such a process. I am in that same sort of limbo with my Ethan who is not quite delayed ENOUGH for the system, but who still needs help. Good luck with everything. All I can say is that you know what is best for your kids, so follow your instincts!

Also, they told me that my Jeffy's speech was actually helped by the paci--it was like a little therapy for him when he was younger, exercising his weak muscles. So, you just never know. I always figure, forget about the cause, work toward the solution.