I have to add this last little bit. In putting away all the turkey from our huge bird consumed by a small family, Matt mentioned making turkey and rice soup. I figured I'd look the recipe up in the morning. We got all the dishes done and the trash out to the curb for our morning pickup. This morning while eating my cereal I got online to the Cook's Illustrated website (gotta get the most of our paid subscription!) and saw that we needed the turkey carcass for the soup stock.
Hmmm, it's been in the 30's all night. I shout to the back room, "Hey Matt, is that turkey carcass in it's own bag or did you throw it in with the rest of the trash?" "It's own bag."
Peek out the window. The trash hasn't gone yet. Hmm, should I? Is it worth it? What would our new neighbors think? Not exactly a good impression. Get up, pace around a bit. "Hey honey, do you think I should get the carcass out of the trash for the recipe?"
"NO!" Okay then. We'll just use canned broth. Take my bowl to the sink. Change the baby's diaper. Peek out the window again.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes! It's not worth it!" About 20 minutes later I heard the garbage truck and sighed that I'd almost had the perfect broth.
4 comments:
I think it was a good move. I've taken a carcass out of the trash before to use for broth, and it worried me with each bite. Better safe than sorry!
Yeah, I guess the reputation in a new neighborhood is worth more than a really good broth. Maybe. ;)
It would have been a very "Jersey" thing to do to go and get that carcass.
If were that cold, I totally would have done it. Maybe I shouldn't broadcast that. ;o) You are a better person than I, so no regrets.
Post a Comment