Sunday, November 11, 2007

Swap My Ride: That's a Taurus??

The car we rented for two weeks while our Mazda MPV was being moved out to California caught us by surprise. We'd planned on renting a minivan from Thrifty for a discount price of $600 for two weeks, but when I arrived to rent it I was told it wasn't a Grand Caravan and didn't have room for a lot of luggage, stroller etc. I'd have to upgrade and pay $400 more. Very disgruntled I went to the next company and was told the same thing.

Then I arrived at the Budget counter and lucky for me the manager stepped forward and gave me some options when I explained my needs: 3 carseats, luggage for 5, two strollers, and under $700. "Let me show you some cars. I have a Ford Taurus that I think will work." Okay, but a Taurus? I don't think he heard me right. So we went out to the garage and he introduced me to the latest in the "crossover SUV". Very impressive. The size was right and so was the price. He even plugged in some random discounts for me after querying if I had AAA, Sam's Club, etc.



While it wasn't as spacious as a Honda Odyssey, we were quite pleased with how the "Taurus X" accommodated 3 kids and all our gear for 2 weeks. The gas mileage wasn't great, but it does have all-wheel drive. And a new car with all it's features is always fun to drive. We were quite sad to give it back. Thanks to everyone who helped with all the babysitting and driving logistics for us!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

I NEVER would've guessed that was a Taurus!!

Heather said...

Huh. Who knew?