Wednesday, April 23, 2008

American Idol: I Quit

(SPOILER WARNING: If you haven't already watched/heard the results OR are participating in National Turn Off the TV Week, which we obviously are not)

This is the first year I've actually watched American Idol. I'd see the previews and hype as we fast forwarded through commercials during previous seasons while watching other shows (Bones, House, 24). Maybe it was because of the writers strike that we were lured in. Or maybe because I happened to paint the family room on a Tuesday and Wednesday night in February. But we've kept watching it and I'm surprised that I've liked it as much as I have. Enough to get annoyed when Matt cheats and watches it solo. (Lost is at the top though, you're in BIG trouble if you cheat on that one!)

I was soo shocked when Michael Johns was voted off a few weeks ago. I thought he'd be in the Final Four. And then, how does "Dreads" aka Jason Castro aka "Jack Johnson" continue to stay on despite his mediocre performances??? Who is voting for these guys?? And don't get me started on David Archu-Perfect (too late, I'm on a roll). He's a nice kid, a great singer, but he sings almost every song the same way. He has a good voice/tone/pitch/whatever but is rather boring in my opinion. Or forgettable as Simon so often says. Even if "America" aka "teenage girls with AT&T Wireless Plans" votes for him every week, it floors me that the judges think he's amazing every week. Yawn. I think he is talented and nice and cute, just not dynamic and interesting.

Onto tonight's Results Show. Syesha brought down the house. Amazing performance. Her voice, her energy, simply fabulous. What the heck was she doing in the Bottom Two? And Carly? She had one of her bests nights. At least she went out on a very strong note. Meanwhile Dreads and Brooke are safe. I thought they'd be the Bottom Two and he'd be singing Memory again to the swooning girls in the front. I like Brooke. I'm glad the "lost lyric" didn't hold her back. I love that she always wears modest but very stylish clothes. True to her faith. I'm glad she's made it this far. David Cook rocks. Syesha rocks. I even tried voting for her last night but only got the busy signal. Again I ask, Who's votes are being counted? Any of you ever vote and get through? Seems like a flawed system, not much different than voting for Homecoming King and Queen.

So I guess I won't quit. The week that Matt and I have been anticipating all season: Neil Diamond, baby. Oh yeah. We are stoked.

Song Predictions:

Sweet Caroline (too popular, thanks to the 7th inning stretch, maybe Dreads or Archie will attempt)
Forever in Blue Jeans (or Holly's Misheard version: Reverend Blue Jeans I'm not the only one) Syesha
Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show (David Cook)
Play Me (David Cook)
Soolaimon (Syesha)

Cracklin Rosie (Syesha)
September Morn (Brooke)
Song Sung Blue (Dreads)
I Am... I Said (Brooke)
Heartlight (David Archu-Perfect)
Holly Holy (probably no one, but of course I had to include it!)

Guess what'll be on my playlist this week?? :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, you had to go there...I am a huge fan of David Cook, more and more after each performance. He blew me away this week! I did vote for him Tues., first time since Carrie Underwood was on the show that I've voted), I thought I better not take the chance i.e. Michael Johns! I got through each and every time.. I probably voted at least 2 dozen times - thanks only to redial...
I have never been a huge fan of Carly's.. I couldn't get beyond her tatoo and I know it is a "talent" show, but it looks like many other Americans couldn't get beyond it either. I think the young girls (tweens mostly) are keeping David A. in. I think Brooke is staying in because she is "real" and genuine and the viewers like that, nice change in today's "stars". Dregs absolutely has the teen girls as his fan base.
I can't wait until Tuesday either... huge fan of Neil Diamonds, and since I've taken up 15 pages so far, i best sign off...

Susan said...

I feel so un-American not getting into this! My sister just blogged about "I hugged Ryan Seacrest" and I had to keep reading to see what she was talking about. I'd heard the name before, but didn't know it went along with Idol. Maybe some season I'll get into it, it has been nice to not watch tv for months now though!

Anonymous said...

This is Matt, Holly's Hubby.

"Turn off the TV Week?" That is a terrible idea. Plus, why would anyone not want to watch Lost this week given the dismal year TV is having.

It took a writers' strike to get me watching American Idol -- which I am proud to admit is my first ever association with Paula Abdul.


But as Holly mentioned, Neil Diamond is a Baun Family Fave. Here's my take on Neil Diamond songs and American Idol.

****

The biggest dissapointment is that Michael Johns won't be singing this week -- i think he would have done Heartlight and would have done it up right. Or he could have done Soolayman.


"Coming to America" would be the smart choice for David Cook, though another one might be "Gril, you'll be a woman soon" or my personal neil diamond fave -- "Love on the Rocks" -- which was my song of choice when I hit the karaoke circuit.

The group song we'll probably be swett caroline or coming to America.

I like September Morn for Brooke, Forever in Blue Jeans for Seyesha (my current favorite idol) and whose left --- oh yes, archie. I think he'll do something forgettable like he always does -- but a good choice for him would be "Play Me" -- but I will be anxious to hear what he chooses more than any other idol contestant. He's the big wild card. He reminds me of Phil Collins -- all his songs sound the same -- beginning, middle and end. But he sings flawlessly.

Oh and Dredlocks -- he will actually do quite well -- 'Morning Side" would be pefrect for him or sooo-lay--soolay--soolayman! And he seems talented enough to play the bongos on the song.

Sorry, if I got solayman stuck in your heas.....



I thought the Andrew Loyd Weber was the best mentor so far.

Jessica said...

We are totally into "American Idol" too. We play soccer on Tuesday nights and then spend the night at our friends' house where we watch the recorded "AI" together. I'm shocked that Jason didn't get the boot. I think David C should win for sure (but I thought about about Chris Daughtry two years ago and he only placed fourth!). I like Brooke too. I agree with you about David A. And I don't think he's been able to top his early performance of "Imagine" (that was awesome!).

"Turn off your TV week"? Never heard of it. ;)

Cami said...

I agree. That is all I have to say.

Heather said...

Wow. Am I missing out? Maybe now we have the bunny ears, I'll have to sample this American Idol thing everyone's talking about. I have a "tween" blogging friend in Utah who is always gushing about David Archuleta. That's about as much as I knew about it until this post. :D

Heather said...

Heh, you got one song prediction right! "I am... I said." for Brooke. :)

Anonymous said...

I have always watched american idol since about half way through the first season. I think the talent this year is much better than last year. I agree with most of what you said except that I really do like David Archuleta. I don't think he is diverse enough song choice wise; too many ballads. Neil Diamonds songs brought him out of that slump just a little which was nice. I like David Cook better though and think he should win. Hopefully not another Chris Daughtry scenario.
I can't believe that Castro was not sent home last night or at the very least in the bottom two. Crazy. Sorry to see Brooke go but her time was coming.
That's all I got. You should do another post about this again like for the final 2 or 3.