Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rainbow Stripe Window Shades

So. The girls room is in desperate need of window treatments. The original drapes with the pull strings were yanked down by the kids and were terribly dated and dusty anyway. We've been "temporarily" hanging various sheets and blankets over the old drapery rod for several months now. It's embarrassing, especially since those windows are the most visible from the street. There were also some plastic tinted roller shades to minimize sun exposure since they're south facing windows.

I almost bought some premade ones, but the problem is the windows are very wide (6ft/72in). And there is furniture beneath both windows so I can't have the standard floor length kind. But because of the width, a lot of typical non-floor length child safe shades won't work. Plus I want a certain kind of look to the room. Something that will go with whatever girly themes are in the rest of the room. AND I don't want to spend 80 bucks a window to achieve that look.

Solution: reuse wooden roller shade, let Evalyn pick out fabric at Walmart on a whim one day, (much later on) buy blackout liner fabric on sale at JoAnn's. Measure, cut, glue, sew.... "Put them together and what do you get? Bippity Boppity Bippity Boppity Boo!"



A very bold rainbow striped custom-made roller shade. Cost: $15 (mostly the fabric since I had all the extras, I added in $3 for that)Very worthy of a Design on a Dime episode. Except that nothing is straight/square when you look closely.

I don't like it. I shoulda just used the white roller shade material sans rainbow stripes. It was so tedious to do and would be hard to replicate that I don't want to do the other window. The following picture shows the two patterns I would like to use for curtains. They're actually twin flat sheets, but could totally be cut up and remade for the same price as buying premade.



The butterflies go better with the stripes. But I like the flowers better. And the walls definitely could go a shade darker of pink so they aren't so pale. I'm tempted to take the remaining two yards of rainbow stripe fabric that Evalyn so loves and make a pillow/case or dress or something that she'd love even more. And then undo what I did and start again. Which way to go?? On with the jarring rainbow shade or start over?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the butterflies with those awesome stripes. I also like your pink walls. Why not get a few butterflies to hang on the walls that would pull everything together... just a thought.

Cami said...

Whatever makes the kiddies happy. But I do like the idea of combining.

I made a curtain for my Janey's room the other day out of an old Ikea bedspread. Good times.