1) Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier (the frame kind that the bucket/infant seat fits into)

2) Combi Savona PM: My favorite all time. Five Stars. We bought this when Evalyn outgrew her infant carseat. It's taken a beating but does so much: flat fold, flat recline, removable/swing out snack tray/cup holder, parent pocket/cup holder, carseat carrier compatible, a fabric "boot" to hold in blankets when they're little, large basket AND weighs around 14 lbs. Very light weight. I LOVE it. Sadly, I don't think they're making this exact model anymore, but ebay might have something on it. This stroller is very sentimental because it has gone everywhere with us.

3) Single Jogger: A dear friend lent this to me (and later let me keep it) when Evalyn was old enough. She and I used to jog taking turns pushing her daughter. I used it extensively until I had Henry. It is super lightweight and handles very easily. I could never find anything about the manufacturer. It needs some TLC and a few missing bolts to get it "running" again. I'm hoping at some point to be at home with only one child to exercise with!!
4) Tike Tech Double Trouble Jogging Stroller: I spent a long time comparison shopping for features, price, fold-ability, narrowness (ie can fit through a regular door) and ended up buying this one for $300. For the most part I'm happy with it. Quality is a bit lacking (a strap broke on the original seat AND the replacement they sent me) not to mention the overuse of Velcro strips. If I were to replace it, I'd definitely get something with a front swivel wheel that can also lock in place for running. Maybe the BOB? They're so stinking expensive!

That's all that I technically currently own. I bought a used Chicco Velocita side-be-side umbrella type stroller from Craigslist and gave it away before we moved. It was too wide for doorways, but was great for taking on road trips because it folded compactly. I also bought a used Graco DuoGlider very shortly after Henry was born so I could go places with a sleeping newborn and a 19mo. But it was sooo bulky and heavy that I rarely used it. It made the move, but is currently at my sister's awaiting a Craigslist post.
SO, what new stroller is taking the #5 spot? A Baby Trend Sit-n-Stand LX! (Five is where Matt draws the line, though he'd be more than happy with only owning one. In my defense, only 3 are really "in use") If I'd had my druthers, I would've bought this one when Henry was born and avoided the trial and error of the other two strollers. But it didn't have the parent tray back then. And I wasn't sure how an under 2yo would do on the riding platform.
It was on back order at Target.com (we wanted the gray one) and should be arriving soon. I opted to buy new for two reasons: used ones are in high demand, I can't find one on a craigslist near me. And I really want the parent tray/cupholder (so silly I know). It's a very versatile stroller: carseat carrier/regular seat up front, seatbelt on sitting platform in back, handles for preschooler to hold on to while standing. Of course I'm planning on maxing the 80 lbs weight recommendation by putting 20 pound Linnea (yes! 19 lbs 4 oz a month ago), 34 pound Henry and occasionally 32 pound Evalyn in it when she's too tired to walk.My routine thus far when going out with 3 kids under age 4 is: Linnea on my back in the Ergo, Henry in the cart/stroller, and Evalyn walking along or kneeling/sitting in the cart. This works pretty good, but the heavier Linnea gets the more tiring the whole routine is. Especially for quick diaper/formula/milk runs. When Linnea was sleeping in her infant seat, I'd sometimes wear Henry on my back instead. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it.
When I was up in Salem/Portland a month ago, I stopped at Babies R Us and spent awhile trying out strollers there and at Segals, a local baby outfitter type store. I tested out the two sit and stand style strollers: Baby Trend's Sit-n-Stand and the Joovy Caboose. BRU had the Joovy but I didn't care for it (no parent tray for one). Segal's had two versions of the Sit-n-Stand, one with a convertible back seat so it looked like a double stroller. I preferred the regular one (obviously, since that's what I ordered) but it was way overpriced. I'd squirreled away some gift cards and Christmas money, plus the cash from the DuoGlider (whenever it sells), so hopefully we will all like this stroller. If not, there's always Craigslist..... at least I know it's in demand!
6 comments:
Oh stroller woes. I got a new one in the mail just yesterday--the carseat carrier one. I'm very excited. When she outgrows it, I'll move on to your fave. But I'm going to have to jog my guts out to make my jogging stroller worth what I paid thinking it would fit in my car . . .
I have thrown away about 5 strollers in the last couple years. Nonetheless, I will only have one child who fits in a stroller, and I feel like I'm about to give you a run for your money!! I'm glad for this post, I know have some good ideas for later strollers.
This is so important. I remember going through the same throes of decision-making. Eric says that stroller innovation is one of the hottest patent areas there is.
I think we should get this one next....
http://comfortfirst.com/p-35280-.aspx
Wowee, that's a lot of strollers! :) I think we topped out at 3 at one point, now we're down to just 2. Now for any significant walking, we're forced to use the double stroller, as much as the toddler SCREAMS, excuse me, "expresses her dismay." :)
Ah yes. My husband never understood why we needed so many (to keep in our little two bedroom apartment, hee hee). Now, the sit'n'stand in my best friend :)
I have finally realized that Ben is too large for a stroller. I keep thinking he's still a little toddler, not almost old enough for kinder! Anyway, the minivan duoglider I got last fall and used three times before it started raining too much for me to feel like using it... well, now I push Katy in that while Ben walks along, telling me constantly to slow down. I borrowed back my single-seater Kolkraft that I love, so that will be half the weight to push around (very lightweight stroller with nice huge basket). But I guess when Baby comes I'll be back to the Duoglider. So at the moment we're up to 3 (still have our side-by-side umbrella I got for hauling down from the second floor apt).
Anyway, hope the sit-in-stand works out for you!
Post a Comment