Monday, May 05, 2008

Highway 96 to Arcata

This weekend we drove to the coast. As the crow flows, we're only about 80 miles due east of Crescent City. Not bad. But there's some awfully tall mountains called the Siskiyou's/Klamath Knot between us and there. This makes it a 3.5-5 hr drive, depending on what part of the coast you want to get to. South to Redding and across 299 to Eureka; North to Grants Pass and 199 across to Crescent City; or 96 just north of Yreka and across 299 to Eureka. Anyway you choose, twisty windy roads are part of the trip. The question is how many twists and how fast will you drive them.



Matt has taken a few different routes so far as he's driven to Arcata for meetings and other events. His first was the most memorable, involving one lane roads along steep mountain drop-offs with no guardrails, winding through the Marble Mountain Wilderness town Forks of Salmon (think remote marijuana growing shacks, off the grid, no one could find you here kind of a place). It took him nearly 6 hours. Although the amazing view at the crest of the Marble Mountains was well worth the drive, giving a breathtaking panoramic view. He's since taken more direct routes, besides the fact that mountain snows have closed the pass til June.

Our trip was actually a combined one. Matt had a Saturday morning Kid's Fishing Day event at a freshwater lagoon between Arcata/Eureka and Crescent City, so we decided to make a family weekend out of it, explore some of the Redwoods along the far northern coast, and dip our feet in the cold Pacific waters. We opted to take Highway 96 (the Klamath River Highway, Jefferson Scenic Byway, The Bigfoot Highway (seriously, Sasquatch really lives here). I figured we'd only drive this way once in the near future since other routes are shorter time wise. It's about 200 miles as it winds along the Klamath River through steep canyons, remote valleys, old logging and mining towns. The hillsides were covered in wildflowers, our timing was serendipitously perfect. Yellow mustards, golden poppies, blue lupin, red paintbrush, pink sweet pea, and so many that I didn't know the names of. I was happy to spot a western redbud!



This road was very windy (did I mention that yet?!?!). Evalyn kept asking for Tylenol because her "mouth hurt" she said. A little while later we realized that she was carsick and her blanky and clothes took the brunt of it. That was one stop. Not too much later, Linnea followed suit so we stopped again to clean that up. Thankfully, Henry was fine. The 4 hour drive took more like 6 hours with all of the stops, but we weren't in a huge hurry. It was beautiful scenery.





The last hour was pretty tough, I was sitting in the back reading books to the kids and singing songs with them (fortunately the road was straighter once we left Hwy 96). We drove straight to a beach access just north of Arcata. We stretched our legs there and dipped Linnea's toes in the Pacific Ocean for the first time. Drove back to the motel, checked in, ate dinner at the kid friendly Pachanga Mexicana restaurant in Eureka, went to Target for some necessities: sand toys, baby formula, fishing rod, several other things. It was one of the nicest Target's I've been to, and I'm a huge fan. I almost took a picture of it's brick facade and vine covered parking lot pergolas.



We're getting better at the whole kids in the hotel room routine. A two room suite is preferred if it's not too much more expensive. We upgraded Matt's gov't rate and paid the difference so that worked out well. Two queen beds in one room and a king/bathroom/fridge in the main room. One of the better situations thus far. Henry and Evalyn were thrilled with their own "big beds". We were just thrilled to close the door once they finally fell asleep! We were too tired to do much of anything besides get online and plan an itinerary for Saturday. I washed the yucky clothes and Evalyn's blanky in the guest laundry instead of soaking in the hot tub. sigh. But at least Linnea slept well in her pack n play.



If you've read through my wordiness, kudos to you. Stay tuned for the second half.

3 comments:

TracyS. said...

Gotta love those twisty roads... still, I felt homesick for the Golden State when I read your post.

Heather said...

I'm sure Katy would have been losing it with her cousins! She couldn't even handle the twenty-minute drive along the Willamette between W-ville and Newberg.

Looks like you picked the perfect weekend for scenery! Great beach shots. :)

Kiasa said...

I know those windy roads! My brothers use to go up to the Klamath River for scout stuff...and we would have to go get them. Beautiful photos!