Friday, May 30, 2008

LOST Finale: The Frozen Donkey Wheel

Matt and Holly's Conversation about the season finale of Lost. (Note: we really do have more things than TV shows consuming our lives right now. Humor us for one more post before we get back to cute pictures of the kids and other goings-ons.)

M: LOST is the best book never written that is now showing on TV. The show draws heavily on science, philosophy, physics, mathematics, history and literature and even makes a few nods to politics as well. Reminds me of college, only more invigorating and watched with HDTV, just about as expensive.

H: I like the book analogy, but the TV is paid off, dear. Our student loans aren't quite there yet. It IS stunning in HD for sure. And much more comfy now that we have a decent couch to sit on.

M: The show can be watched on so many levels depending on how much Lost Kool-Aid you want to drink. Me? Well, let's just say I drink as much as I can while Holly is more of a social drinker.

H: A social drinker who gets a hangover every Friday morning. Golly, that sounds bad. I just read all the links Matt sends me so I can keep up with the theories. This guy J. Wood has some of the best insights for sure. (A shout out to my Nook friends, he goes into some detail on The Orchid Thief which was May's book choice.)

M: (ahem) Last night's finale brought my TV addiction to a close until the Fall. But it gave us a lot to think about until the next season -- 8 months down the road.

So here's a list of our biggest questions from Season Four and the series to date:

H: My Number One Concern (silly as it may be): WHO IS FEEDING BABY AARON? This is perhaps inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but there's at least 24 hours from when Claire (his mother) mysteriously disappears in the jungle and he's handed off to Sawyer-Kate-Sun-Kate. Then they're on Penny's boat for a good week before arriving on the island of Membata or wherever. Was there a stash of Dharma Infant Formula stashed away somewhere?? Did Kate start lactating for him?? Something would have to happen so it was all believable. Like I said, a very small detail, but from a mother's perspective a very big deal at the same time.

M: Isn't Enfamil owned by the Hanso Foundation? I liked a lot of things about the show and I love how there is always more mysteries. My top 3 from the finale:

1. Was Charlotte born on the Island?
2. Did the Island move in space and time or both.
3. Did Locke really leave the island?

H: Top Three huh? I'd have to go by character and that would be a long list. How about bullets?

*What happened to Claire? Was she killed? Why did her father take her away? What was she doing in Jacob's cabin?

*What is Christian Shepherd doing on the island in Jacob's chair anyway? Why was he visiting Jack in the present day?
*What did Sawyer tell Kate before he jumped? And that she later acted upon, making Jack jealous?
*Why does Hurley see dead people? What happens to dead people on the Island?
*Did Jin survive the explosion on the boat? What about the Zodiac rescue boat that Faraday was piloting? Did they get "sucked in" to the island moving phenomenon?

I think if we watched previous seasons, we'd be reminded of even more questions.

M: Why don't you get me the first three seasons on DVD for Father's Day then?

H: Hmmm. that's a good question . . . . moving on then. How will next season play out? The Oceanic Six (7 if you count Locke's/Bentham's corpse) need to return to the island. In one corner, a broken Jack is now in league with Big Bad Ben Linus. Sayid, who's only ambitions seem to be seeking revenge on those that killed Nadia (his wife and soulmate) and protecting his island friends, has psych-ward-Hurley in his protection so to speak. Kate is weirded out by the dream-reality of Claire warning/demanding Kate to never bring Aaron back to the island. Plus she's still estranged from Jack and his destructive behavior. They are in another corner, but Ben has a plan to bring her around. That leaves Sun who is teaming up with Ben's arch enemy Charles Widmore to re-discover the island's new location. Presumably, she believes Jin is still alive and desperately wants to reunite their family.

How does that sound Matt?

M: Sounds like a soap opera. I think the show has to end with a Happy Jack and how we get there I don't know but his need is to get back on the island and maybe figure out how to get his and his friends' lives back from the Island evil-doers -- Ben Linus and the murderous, rule-changing, blood thirsty, Charles Widmore.

H: Is that it? I thought you wrote more stuff in there.

M: I was trying to keep it short so people actually read it.

H: Oh.

PS As we're re-watching last nights finale again, we both agree that Ben Linus's line of "time traveling bunnies" was delivered in classic Michael Emerson style. He's one of the best actors on TV.

5 comments:

Heather said...

You guys are too funny. I skipped the second half of your post, thought, since I've never watched Lost, and I keep thinking maybe someday I will...

holly b said...

i googled "feeding baby aaron lost" and it was fun to read peoples thoughts on this. I'm not the only one. it really is a big hole. but this comment made me laugh. very island-esque.

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you guys are so into the show. Jon really likes it and I enjoy it even though it is "sci-fi"ish which is normally the ones I stear clear of. I have missed several episodes this year since I have a naughty 4th child and I don't get the time to watch even though they're tivo'd. I did see an episode though where they flash-forwarded with Jin alive when Sun was delivering her baby. The question would still be if Sun believes he is alive and is trying to prove it. Looks like it's going to be a long summer for you guys.

Cami said...

I'm not reading this because I haven't watched it yet and I want no spoilers. I can't wait! I hope you liked it.

rick and cheryl said...

I haven't gotten to watch it yet either...I'm thinking it will make a great FHE activity (after kids are down).