In keeping with my regular Tuesday night American Idol post, here are my thoughts on the "main event". (Of all the things to post regularly about, why am I taking time for a TV show?? My kids are much more interesting, right?)
First off, the boxing theme was WAY cheesy. Ugh. Poor Archie boy is too shy for hamming up this kind of stuff. He's too young and innocent for the fast and furious world of entertainment. I hope for his sake he doesn't win. He's too good for it, if you know what I mean.
I am so mad at the judges for ripping David Cook apart. He did a fabulous job. He was original. He was diverse. He has heart. He plays AND sings. He has the charisma to be THE American Idol. I want to download his version of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin' For". (That would be my first AI download from iTunes.) His last song was a big risk, I even felt a wee bit bored at the end. But it wasn't BAD. (I think they both had poor 3rd rounds) He was stepping out and showing a more subdued side with an acoustic guitar, singing from his heart.
David Archie Golden Boy: he did a fabulous job. He was in the zone. Matt and I could say nothing to disparage him on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me". (I thought both producer's picks had a hidden message in them....) But resting on his laurels, so to speak, in singing "Imagine" for his final song was BOR-ING. It was okay the first time (Matt says dreadful both times), but not so hot again. On Idol, they only re-sing songs when they're going home, right?? The kid CAN sing though. He's got an amazing voice.
I'd really like David Cook to win. I thought it was a low blow that the judges didn't praise them both somewhat equally at this point in the game. Showing so much favoritism on a big night when they both put so much heart into it irks me. But it's a silly show at the end of the day, right? I'd better publish this and go dial in my 20-something votes for David Cook before the time is up.
(I wonder if it really matters how many times you dial? What a mysterious black box the Idols voting process is. If they are so specific as to how many votes are called/texted in, why don't they say the actual number of votes for each contestant? Hmmmm???)
9 comments:
I agree with *almost* everything you said. I thought that the judges should have pointed out that even though David A had "won the round" that it wasn't by much and not made it sound like he blew him away. I actually thought DC's last song was just as good as his 1st. I wanted to point out that Archie played the piano for one of his songs once so I know he can play and sing too. Don't know why he didn't do it more...maybe the judges didn't praise him enough that time.
Jon got home at 11:15pm (nothing new there) and I replayed it for him. He is a DC fan. (Not much of an AI fan though.) I played the "no fluff" version to keep him interested and played all 3 DC songs in a row with no judge comments and then all 3 DA songs with no comments and he said something like, "Oh great, Archuletta's our next American Idol". I think either one winning is fine by me. I think the adults are more pulling for DC and the teenage girls are pulling for Archie. We'll see who did more voting...
I agree with *almost* everything you said. I thought that the judges should have pointed out that even though David A had "won the round" that it wasn't by much and not made it sound like he blew him away. I actually thought DC's last song was just as good as his 1st. I wanted to point out that Archie played the piano for one of his songs once so I know he can play and sing too. Don't know why he didn't do it more...maybe the judges didn't praise him enough that time.
Jon got home at 11:15pm (nothing new there) and I replayed it for him. He is a DC fan. (Not much of an AI fan though.) I played the "no fluff" version to keep him interested and played all 3 DC songs in a row with no judge comments and then all 3 DA songs with no comments and he said something like, "Oh great, Archuletta's our next American Idol". I think either one winning is fine by me. I think the adults are more pulling for DC and the teenage girls are pulling for Archie. We'll see who did more voting...
sorry, my mouse button is really sensitive and I accidently pushed it twice! Now you've got 3 comments from me!!! SORRY! : p
I have greatly enjoyed your commentary on American Idol and so has Sara. It has added just one more element of fun to the show.
I'm totally with you on the WAY cheesy boxing theme. I was also mad that the judges were pretty hard on DC. I think he was very brave to go out on a limb and do a totally new song for his last one (I think he is the first ever contestant in the finals that I've seen NOT redo a song from earlier in the season). Here's the thing, I don't understand why it was never pointed out that DA IS boring and all he can do are ballads. He is not diverse at all. Ultimately DC will have a better and longer career (see Daughtry vs. Clay Aiken). They are both already signed to record deals, so who cares about the "competition" right? I do wish DC would win, I want him too. But I can't feel bad if he doesn't b/c I didn't vote and I know most of the DA fans were probably voting furiously (teen-age girls love the phone).
You have been tagged. GREAT!? Check out my blog for instructions.
I still havent' watched an episode, but my sister went to the finale, here's her blog post: http://anneandmattjonesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/05/feelin-burn.html
This was the first time they ever sang a U2 song, and this is why--they don't have much melody. But he did a good job. I totally missed the finale/announcement, but who cares. That's the worst part of the show. Oh the cheesiness!! Congrats to you for Dave Cook winning! I thought maybe he'd rather take second. I wonder how he feels being a rocker AI winner!!
You do great reviews, you know that? :) I was of course happy with how it all turned out, and it looks like David Cook is already breaking records on Billboard, with a little help from the convenience of iTunes. Even my young blogging friend who is in love with Archuletta downloaded two Cook songs and put them on her blog once the dust had settled.
Post a Comment