Monday, May 19, 2008

Heatwave!

It is hot out here. Amazingly enough, we're not minding the triple digit highs that we had all weekend. Why you may ask? THERE'S NO HUMIDITY WITH IT!!! THE LOWS AT NIGHT GO DOWN TO 65 OR BELOW!! (Sorry to all my Mid-Atlantic friends) So, turn on the sprinklers, drink a tall glass of iced whatever and water the lawn before 10AM. Open the windows as soon as the outside temps fall below th inside (usually around 10PM). Fall asleep and wake up to a cool delicious breeze wafting through the windows. As long as there's cool morning and nights and our electric bill isn't outrageous with our new heat pump/AC we won't complain.

The cool mornings have also motivated Matt to start exercising again. He gets up with one or usually both girls who are the early risers in the family, load them in the jogger and takes a stroll down the hill and to a neighborhood park. He's planning on doing this for awhile and then hit the gym when he needs to step it up a notch.

His other main motivation is buying a drift boat when he gets down to his goal weight. This will most likely be a year long process, but definitely worth it in the end. It's also motivating me to get back into a routine at the gym. Or something. Especially after trying some dresses on at Target this weekend. They were actually a fully sleeved modest style, but my middle had way too many rolls to consider making the purchase. Sigh.

Get active girl! I tell myself. Too bad there isn't interactive blogging for Wii fit. That would be cool. Aerobic typing! Jump on the letters to leave comments! Yoga letter poses! I might try rationalizing that over a gym membership. I'm very anti-video games though. I get obsessive and have very little self control. For Christmas one year my bro-in-law got me MYST and that's all I did for a week straight. seriously. Plus our family gets enough screen time as it is. I just need to get my rear in gear and go jogging or something in the early morning or evening. Just not on trails here cuz that's when the mountain lions are out. You need a dog if you want to run solo there.

My battery is about to die and I need to go paint a wall and if I plug in the charger then I'll be tempted to open Google Reader and that will be the rest of my afternoon! Hope you're all having a lovely pre-Memorial Day week. Get all those off-season admission days in while you can!

6 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm with you, friend. Eric has been riding his bike lately and I'm proud of him. Thanks for the little kick in the butt to get off my comfy balance ball computer chair and stop pretending all the hours I spend sitting on it count as exercise. :o)

Cami said...

Oh, oh, how I miss cool nights. The hot, humid nights were SO hard for me to get used to out here. I'm used to waking up freezing even on a 100 degree day.

I love the idea of aerobic typing!!

Anonymous said...

WOW....love those cool nights. Good for Matt, maybe he can give his mom some incentive.... after my vacation in Calif. the party is over for me!! BACK TO THE GYM...
grammum

Corinne said...

It's been lovely catching up with you. I am a bit jealous of that no humidity stuff :)

Jana said...

We find if one of us jumps on the exercise train the other usually does eventually. Positive spousal pressure. And how nice for you that he takes the awake children with him.

Furthermore, I can't believe you're having triple digit heat. That's crazy. The cool nights would make up for it, though. Perhaps I've missed it in a previous post, but how is Matt liking his job?

Heather said...

So I'm finally stopping by your blog... That's great that you guys are getting back into an exercise routine. More power to you! (And that's crazy about mountain lions, but I am not at all surprised, having seen where you live...)