To the title of this post, I finally figured out why things have been a little tight money-wise lately. A few months back we decided to get serious about our finances and stop using our credit cards for those "not sure how much I have left in my checking account so I'll just put it on the credit card" and "I want this now and don't feel disciplined enough to save for it" purchases. Plus we used our cards a lot last fall/winter while we were moving and in between paychecks, etc. It was painful yet liberating at the same time to take that $5,000 chunk of cash I was hoping to upgrade the bathroom with and pay down our CC balance. So way before any of the recent Wall Street crisis stuff was going on, we'd had our own little crisis when we realized we needed to reign things in a bunch. We weren't living frivolously, but realized we could be more frugal in some key areas. Yet at the end of each paycheck I kept wondering, what is going on? Things shouldn't be this tight!! It was getting to the point where I was considering finding some contract work using my GIS skills and doing some night/naptime work hours.
Finally I got around to looking at our income tax withholdings (well duh!?), remembering that we'd been getting some pretty big refunds lately and probably hadn't adjusted for having three kids, etc. WELL, here's where I feel like we won the lottery (and pretty sheepish for taking so long gettin around to checking on it). Turns out when Matt changed from USDA to US FWS that they automatically put him down at a withholding level of Single with no Exemptions/Allowances. This means that we've already overpaid the Fed (um like, back in May) and can stop our withholdings the rest of the year. WAHOO!! Life is suddenly rosy again because I CAN spend more than $100 a week on groceries and household supplies. Because lemme tell you it wasn't really working out. I don't have to cut our DSL connection or DirecTV (although I did get some really good discounts when I called and tried to cancel). We can very quickly pay off the lingering balance on our last credit card. And most importantly we can turn our stress level waaaay down.
The other good thing about this is that along with stopping the credit card usage we've also started on the Dave Ramsey financial plan (7 Baby Steps to Financial Freedom, Total Money Makeover). It's kind of like healthy eating/diet for your finances. We got the book for Christmas a few years back (thanks Roy!) and a friend had also recommended it (thanks Jerry and Angie!). I kept meaning to read it. But it wasn't until things were tight and my mom had recently borrowed our unread copy and gave it back saying "you really need to read this" that we finally did. We didn't actually READ it, but skimmed and got the gist of it. Like most diet/exercise books, the whole thing usually only needs 5 pages to tell you what you need to do but it's published as 100+ pages so you feel like you're getting your money's worth. Or something. Oh, and it also features large in your face photos of whoever wrote the book. Usually that's a big turn off for me. The whole personality selling the product thing. In this case though I'll make an exception. He has a really good plan and it's exciting to hear success stories from others. We Tivo his show and watch some of it a couple of times a week.


Anyway, my point was that because we've already been living rather frugally lately, we can now give ourselves a bit of breathing room and then completely put the rest of our income (that we'd been giving to the Fed interst free to hold on to for us til early next year!) to paying off our remaining debts. Our car loan in 2 years instead of 5. And then our student loans and then the big goal is our mortgage. But we'll work on the 3-6 months of savings first before we tackle THAT behomoth. :) Oh, and food storage/emergency preparedeness. Definitely need to build up that supply. But it's exciting to think of being in the position of having more cash than we have debt. And, mortgage aside, being in that position long before the kids are approaching college.
So this little financial adventure has been taking up a good chunk of my mental energy lately. I'm so happy to have my mind and optimism back. I'm still pressing forward with trying to master meal planning and bread making though.
8 comments:
one of my very favorite terms comes from matt: fiscal austerity. i don't remember when/where/why/how he used it, but i do know he used it (i think it was in reference to an "era of fiscal austerity").
You really want to master bread making? I have to say a friend of mine just talked to me about how much money she saves planning meals. She looks into the papers each Sunday and plans her meals around what is on sale. She only spends $400 a month on a family of 6 which I think is amazing. And, she contacts local farms and actually bought 1/2 a cow for a very small price and has meat for a long, long time.
As for the blogging. I probably spend more time than I should. However I look at it as creating concrete family history. And I try not to write more than twice a week.
I can't wait until we have more cash than debt, but we probably won't get the moving off the credit card until next year. Yeah for you, though!
@erinmalia: Yes, we've ushered in several era's of fiscal austerity in our 6 years of marriage. This is definitely the most austere of them. That gives me a smile that you remembered that. :)
Congratulations! What a great feeling! Well, I wouldn't know currently, but I well remember in my single days paying off those last student loans, and my car, maxing out my 401(k) and having like zero debt. I DID feel like winning the lottery!
I also read Dave's book recently and thought it had some great advice and ideas. I guess we had a crisis around here too a few months ago (moving to a larger, more expensive house). Hopefully soon we can start paying down more debt too. Thanks for sharing some inspiration. :)
It's sort of like finding a $20 in your pants pocket, but better! :) Thanks for the withholdings link.
I love Dave Ramsey! I've mastered bread making and it's all about a KitchenAid. But honestly, I'm not sure it's worth it. Too much time...that is, if you do anything else like blogging or errands. I found when I ground myself from the car (gas tank and envelope empty) I have time for lots of things...not involving the computer. I use dial-up but as soon as I sit down to the computer, my bread making, laundry, pick-up time is gone.
When I find money somewhere like that, I feel like I'm the luckiest girl ever. WAHOO for you!
So impressive!! What a great feeling to be headed in such a great direction!! I'll have to get that book, thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment