Each week at church I wonder if my family will EVER be able to stay in the chapel for the entire hour and ten minutes. Before potty training and before Henry started walking, it sometimes happened. I can't help but look around the chapel and know that there are other families with children the same ages/stage as ours and they seem to make it through most weeks just fine.
What am I doing wrong? Is it my children or how my husband and I handle them? We pack a bag with snacks and drinks and books and puzzles and toys and stickers and quiet books.... and that usually gets us through the sacrament portion. And this is for the should-be-easy-to-entertain 9AM church time.
It usually starts with Evalyn loudly declaring her need to go potty. So we oblige since it's been almost an hour since her last trip. Then Henry can't abide that his sister gets to walk out of the pew and he stay behind. 10-15 minutes later (so it seems) we'll all be back for round 2. That lasts all of 5 minutes until I grab the escaping/crying child and my bag and retreat to the Primary room. There I turn on the sound feed from the chapel, close the doors and set up chairs while vainly trying to keep the kids from banging on the piano, removing chair covers I've just put on, or fleeing the room and clomping down the hallway to the gym. Needless to say I wasn't filled with the right kind of Spirit as I chased my children down. That's how it played out today.
Only 3 more months til Henry goes to Nursery?!? Eeeks. Matt has Henry during Sunday School and brings him into Primary (usually asleep in the stroller) while he heads to teach Young Men's. We end with Singing Time so this usually works fine. The big downside is when we get home, Henry won't nap again until 3:00, if it all, because his nap was interrupted. That's the toss-up for the 2nd and 3rd hours: Contained napping Henry during church, but no nap at home. Crazy running around Henry at church, but will nap at home. In a few short weeks I'm sure we'll be at the end of "contained napping Henry" as he slowly shifts to a single nap anyway.
So, again, a long rambling post but this is what our Sunday meetings consist of. I'm almost looking forward to sitting in the mother's lounge nursing/feeding an infant so I'll get to hear the speakers again! Really though, it's not like we'd stop going to church just because it's hard. Somehow we'll figure out what it takes to keep our kids occupied and contained whether it be sticker reward charts for Evalyn and I don't know what for Henry (ideas anyone??). This stage won't last forever, right?? I take hope in watching other families with 3 or 4 kids and see the youngest ones quietly playing with their older siblings, content to be in the bench and not wandering the halls.
7 comments:
I know exactly how you feel! I only have one child two years old and one on the way. My husband and I were just commenting yesterday that we probably won't get to hear a full talk in sacrament for a while still. Constantly chasing our little one out of the chapel, trying to keep her busy with books, snacks ect. I sware she eats more during sacrament than she eats during the whole week!
Yeah, Sheely is nearly SEVEN and we are still dealing with it. She usually does okay (with at least one potty break) but Xavier is HORRIBLE. Yesterday both Clint and I were in the hall dealing with a boy apiece while Sheely sat by herself in our row. AHHH. I feel for you!
Oh Holly, I wish I had some ideas for you! But I don't. I'm in the same boat. Sounds like you're doing the best you can in the situation.
I think that's funny what Liz said about how much her daughter eats during sacrament meeting. The first thing B says when he knows we're headed to church is "I want a snack." And then, as soon as we sit down, "I want a snack." He and K eat so much, but it seems to keep them quiet.
B's more of a challenge. K's usually happy smiling at everyone behind us when she's not unpacking my purse. But B... Last Sunday he managed to crawl under the pew and open the curtain at the front of the chapel, distracting EVERYONE, including the speaker!
thanks for your thoughts... It's nice to know we're not alone in this!
From the other side...yes it does get better. Sometimes though, I would trade the innocent needs of little ones for the sometimes mean-spirited silent pew-fights of teenagers. Sheesh...
First of all, the people you imagine never going out DON'T EXIST! But I must say, ever since I finally decided to stick to books or drawing only (and snacks) MY life has been easier. It's sooo much nicer to not spend your whole time trying to distract with another toy and another, leaning over to keep picking them up. Books are somehow easier. Then when those don't work, out we go. I don't feel AS flustered this way. I'm sure it's mostly just that girls are more likely to stay in their seats than boys, but for my own sanity downsizing the diaper bag really helped. If it means anything, you always LOOK like you have the spirit :)
We decided to simplify- one quiet toy each and no snacks. It works all right for the boys, but Amelia spends some "time out" in the lobby. (not sure what Gary does out there, but it does seem to work) Jonny used to run away- until we brought the toddler leash Yes, the "reverence reins" got a few stares but they also got results. After a few weeks with that, he voluntarily stays on (or very near) the pew.
It seems weird, but for us bringing less stuff has lead to a more reverent time.
Post a Comment