Saturday, April 14, 2007

Redbuds and Spring

I love redbud trees. They have these amazing bright purple-turning-to-magenta blossoms.
The redbud tree, a native North American tree, is a flowering tree.  This small tree has striking reddish-purple flowers.
This time of year around the mid-Atlantic they are bursting with color against all the silvery branches and green and red buds of taller trees. I remember seeing them my first spring in Wash DC and asking around to learn what kind they were. Ended up doing a Google image search and found my answer: Cercis canadensis, American or Eastern Redbud.
http://www.hoffmannurseryinc.com/images/Redbud.jpg
Last spring I made the amazing discovery that we have one in our yard! It's a scraggly looking volunteer that's next to my other favorite spring bloomer, the dogwood. My only problem now is separating them from their clump and transplanting to a place in our yard where they'll have more breathing room. I'm really into native trees, we also have a sassafras tree in the corner of our property. It gest bright green leaf blooms and then fun lobed leaves that turn scarlet in the fall. All these lovely trees make me intoxicated! Such striking beauty, especially in the natural eastern forest setting.

Redbud and Dogwood, Bernheim forest. Kentucky, USAsassafras_tree in bloom

All the springiness in the air makes me want to get out some more and explore. Friday afternoon I was listening to NPR on the way home from visiting a friend in VA and I learned all about wildflowers in the Potomac River flood plain near Great Falls. Hopefully we'll make it there sometime this week.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I LOVE dogwoods. I used to have one in my front yard in Hyattsville. The pink one is lovely too :)

Heather said...

So that's what a redbud looks like! Mom and Kiona tried to transplant one they found out behind the shop. It didn't like being transplanted, but the little bit of buds and leaves I saw on it were quite lovely--delicate. It has completely died on it's second transplant. But I guess Mom would have to give you the details on that.

I hope you do go out exploring. We manage to squeeze in a few "hikes," even with our current schedule. I just can't stay indoors when spring beckons!

Anonymous said...

Incredible color!! We've killed off two redbuds by transplanting them. I guess we'll leave the lsst one of the 3 where it is. It must be a different variety though, or maybe still too young, but they didn't look like those pictures!

Ours were from a group of little seedlings the previous property owner got from the National Arbor Society of something like that several years ago. He planted all ten seedlings (Fir, Maple, redbud, etc) just a few feet apart in a row so he could cultivate with his tractor, probably intending to relocate them later. Now it's just a mess growing too closely, so we'll have to cut out something... probably the fir at least. Anyway... lovely shots and links!! Thanks! Mom