Since Evalyn's circle of friends involves mostly playgroup kids and their siblings, it seemed a simple enough endeavor to host playgroup at our house and provide cupcakes and water fun in lieu of a formal "birthday party" with invitations, party favors, games, etc (Johanna inspired the idea with her daughter's party in May...). I figured that we'll be hosting enough b-days down the road that I can wait until she's really into it before doing the real deal! Call me a lazy mom or a pragmatist, but as long as there are people she knows gathered together singing Happy Birthday to her with real candles to blow out, and some fun toys to open, I don't think Evalyn cares about the details. ; )
Anyhow, Tuesday morning was hot hot hot and crying out for some wading pools and sprinklers. Fortunately there was an edge of shade on the patio for the mom's until high noon which by then everyone was tired out and heading for the minivans. We borrowed an extra wading pool from a fellow playgroup mom (thanks Sally!) and had a couple of sprinklers going that the bigger kids had a blast with. With a bowl full of goldfish crackers, lemonade, cupcakes, bubbles and a fenced in partially shaded yard, everyone seemed to have a good time.
After waving goodbye to the last of our friends, feeding my kids lunch and putting them to bed, I kept wondering why I still felt so uncomfortable even though I was inside with the A/C. Then I realized my clothes were soaked through with sweat! After a quick clothes change in front of a box fan, I could finally relax and put my feet up. Next year, I said to myself, I'll definitely stick to an air conditioned party! Or not be pregnant, either one would be an improvement. ; )
Evalyn had a great time. She loves cupcakes mostly to just lick the frosting off the top. Fortunately, Henry or I obliging eat the remaining cake without complaint. It was so cute watching her blow out the candles with such vigor. I wish I could've slid the cupcakes closer but Henry climbed up right next to her and made to grab at them. Too much going on in such a short time! She had fun opening the hastily wrapped "share with your friends" toys of balloons, bubble wand, bubble machine and flashlight. The only problem was I forgot to buy AA batteries so only the bubble wand and balloons got played with. Doh! It was fun watching the kids free for all with the bubbles and end up dumping them on the patio and smearing the wand through to get the same affect as dipping in the tray. It was then I realized a bunch of fun bubble-making stations would have been the perfect addition to the water-themed party. Next year......
5 comments:
Sounds fun! My kids only eat cupcakes WITHOUT frosting. I just don't get it. I firmly believe birthdays should last all week.
I loved the video. I can't believe how big Henry is! They're almost the same size. I love the cupcakes with candles in them--perfect! I highly recommend that you not be six months pregnant for Evalyn's next birthday! ;)
Oh, and I forgot to mention the shock I received when I saw little Holly enjoying her cupcake.
Yes, let's NOT be pregnant for NEXT year's birthday :) I love that I got to hear Jo singing happy birthday. Seem like a really fun party.
I'm so sad we had to miss that playgroup! It looks like it went really well though! You're a great mom!
Post a Comment