(So I wrote this a week ago and forgot to post it ON Friday, but here you go anyway!)
My family went through a few different vans during my growing-up years. They typically were driven until it cost more to repair than the resale price. One van that kept on ticking was the pale blue Dodge, I think it was. It took us on many an outing and trips into town, etc. Living out in the boonies everything was a trip somewhere.
Sundays going to church was one of the rare times during the week my dad drove and my mom would ride shotgun. The engine was very loud, not to mention the volume that 4 to 5 children plus two teenage foster boys can create. It was difficult for my parents to carry-on a conversation. My ever-ingenious father came up with a simple solution: the vacuum hose.
My dad would talk into one end and my mom would listen. Then they would switch and my mom would talk or respond, etc. I'm sure the first time they did this we thought it was hilarious and had our turns blowing or yelling into it. But after that it just became old hat. Doesn't everybody's parents talk like this when they drive somewhere?
5 comments:
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while! I think I'll set one up at my dinner table!
Wow. We were so weird. No, I guess that was... resourceful. By the way, that was a brand-new length of replacement vacuum cleaner hose, not one full of dust bunnies and germs. I don't think that continued very long before we either replaced the van or decided that whatever we had to say could wait.
You probably don't remember that when we first got that van it didn't have bench seats in it; we got those from somewhere else. So, the first time some of you rode in it, it was while sitting on bales of alfalfa hay!
Oh my... I vaguely remember the hay bales now that you mention it. Glad to know it was a clean vacuum hose. ; )
We do have some interesting childhood memories, don't we? I remember riding on the bales of hay! I also remember the seats being installed in a "U" so we could all see each other.
That's a RIOT
Post a Comment