Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Mommy-Free Weekend

Earlier this week plans were made for Matt to take the kids to Grammum's house for an overnight visit. Usually we'll all make the 3.5 drive together, but I had some commitments to take care of down here. Plus the prospect of a day and a half all to myself was a wonderful early birthday present indeed!

I was a little apprehensive since this was the first time I'd ever been away from my children overnight. I think the fact that they were 3 hours away and not down the street was what made me most nervous. What if something happened where they needed me and I couldn't get there fast enough?? As I helped buckle my little ones into their carseats and kissed them goodbye on Friday morning I teared up and had a small cry after they drove off. Mostly the dramatic What If Something Terrible Happens thoughts were what drove the tears, but I soon regained my composure and realized that my cell phone and wallet were in the diaper bag that was in the van!! So 20 minutes later they pulled back in and I said goodbye again with a smile and a laugh.

While in my quiet house I cleared my hobby/work table in the office of all the household debris and mail to be filed, etc. After an hour of excavation I laid out my scrapbook album and figured out where to start up again. But then I left for a birthday lunch and ice cream for my friend and walking partner, Anne, and her daughter. It felt strange to be together sans my kids and to eat my entire lunch all by myself without interruption!

I sorted through some more photos for a Father's Day present while waiting to head up to Kellie's house for a fun evening of going to my my first yarn shop, dinner at La Madeliene's, and knitting and bookshopping at Borders. I love starting new hobbies and knitting is no exception. I love how my mind bends to observe things differently: anything made out of yarn catches my eye now, I keep thinking of projects and materials to use. I love reflecting back a few weeks ago and comparing my skills then with now, that feeling of progress and accomplishment. And it's even more fun starting a hobby with a great friend at my elbow to guide and encourage. : )

Saturday morning was another beautiful day, the cool air and sunshine made me feel guilty staying inside with my to-do list. I did some more scrapbooking, ran a couple of errands, baked Magic Bars for the Dessert Auction, knitted, all while listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. : ) I was so into my routine that I hated leaving to drive all the way down to the church for 2 whole hours of MY day, but of course I went and had a fabulous time laughing and bidding on the desserts with the rest of the ward to help fundraise for the YW's Girls Camp.

I ended the evening with more knitting and Harry Potter, only stopping when Matt and the kids were an hour from home to clean the house and hide the Father's Day gifts.

I knew going into the weekend that I had too much I wanted to get done for the time I had. So I did what I do best: made a list. Then I estimated some times, looked at my schedule and decided on 3 things to do: Organize project table, get scrapbooking going, and knit in solitude. I added Father's Day prep in the category of already scheduled events. Result: I felt relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of it all. Did I want another day of it? Sure! But I was so happy to hug my little ones and tuck them in bed again. And now that I've gotten through the initial separation anxiety, I'm all for more Mommy-Free Days!

6 comments:

Cami said...

Oooh, that day sounds lovely. I hope you get them often!

erinmalia said...

hello holly! i just found your blog through a long chain of other blogs (it's a very slow day at work). i loved reading about how you and matt and the kids are doing. it's fun to see what you've been up to. and it looks like you're all doing great! --erin (what used to be "galbraith")

erinmalia said...

and just in case, i was in your singles ward in DC for a bit. friends with gretchen? no need to feel embarrassed if you don't remember me! i certainly remember you guys and matt's "movable feast!"

Kellie said...

I'm glad I got to share a bit of your heavenly weekend. I'm also glad it was rejuvenating. I love the moment of reunion after being away from my family. It's magic.

Heather said...

I congratulate you on being able to prioritize and use your time well without feeling frustrated or stressed over all the things you could have/should have done! What a lovely weekend. :)

Corinne said...

WONDERFUL times all alone!