The other evening Evalyn and I ran an errand together. As we drove down our street she noticed some yellow flowers with dark centers in a neighbors yard.
E: Look Mom! Sunflowers!
Me: Those aren't sunflowers sweetie, those are Black Eyed Susans.
E: No, Daddy said they were sunflowers.
Me: Well he was wrong. Those are Black Eyed Susans. Sunflowers are taller and are usually just one flower by itself. Black Eyed Susan's are also yellow with dark middles but they are short and bushy.
E: (thinking for a bit) Mommy, can you say Black Eyed Tree Frog?
So of course this is hilarious to me as the Mommy because she puts three things together in that last phrase: My habit of requesting Evalyn to repeat a new phrase/word/vocabulary when she learns it. And, putting new information with something that sounds the same. Namely "Red Eyed Treefrog" from the Go, Diego, Go! cartoon.
********************************************
We've been on a crazy stint lately of our kids ending up in our bed at some point in the early morning hours. Sometimes this results in Daddy on the couch with Henry or both of us squished to falling off our queen sized bed.
One morning recently Matt had retreated to the couch and I was snoozing away until Evalyn woke me up around 5AM or so saying "Mommy! Mommy! The stars are making a line!" I fumble for my glasses to figure out what she's talking about. She is standing on our bed looking out the window and sure enough, the constellation Orion is laying on it's side on the eastern horizon and his belt is making a nice straight line. What an observant girl you are, I mumbled as we both snuggled back into the covers.
*****************************************
This next one is perhaps my favorite Evalynism of late. Last Friday we went to Ashland with our preschool/"playschool" friends to pick peaches and play at Lithia Park. We returned home mid afternoon and the younger two were napping. I was beat from all the activity and was somewhere between wanting a nap or a snack for an energy boost. Eva and Daddy were in the office on his computer. From my position on the couch in the next room and with my brain in a fog and needing some help figuring out my next action, I exclaimed in a loud voice, "I need to eat something!"
Evalyn responded in tone and volume to match mine, without skipping a beat, "Are you falling apart Mommy?!"
Matt and I burst out laughing. Oh my sweet girl who's observed her mama "falling apart" on many a late afternoon or busy morning when I needed a snack to help stabilize my occasionally needy blood sugar. You sure bring a lot of joy to us little girl!
3 comments:
I love posts like these-- the way kids' minds work is just amazing to me. :)
That is so funny. I love 4 year olds--they can come up with the funniest stuff.
They are so sweet, aren't they?
Post a Comment