After extinguishing the fire (unplugging and leaving the door closed, conveniently written in small print on the front of the door I later noticed) I examined the interior and found remnants of birthday candles and sprinkles and something that used to be plastic. It had melted through the grate and dripped below the lower heat element. When I tried to start the oven again, more flareups and yucky smells. I called it a loss and stuck in in the garage. It was a wedding gift so it was going on 6 years of use. I figured it wasn't the end of the world to replace it.
Fast forward a month or so and we still hadn't replaced it. One of my favorite comfort foods is toasted sourdough bread slathered with butter.... mmmmmm. We had a loaf in the cupboard and by golly I wanted some toast! So I plugged in an extension cord, set the toaster oven on the patio and determined that I'd let it go until the plastic waxy stuff melted off. After a few changes of foil liner on the bottom and some paper towel work, I declared it good enough to put back into service. I love "earning" money like this by fixing something rather than replacing. :) Plus my little helper Eva and I pretended we were camping and the toaster was our campfire.
I'm sure the novelty will wear of soon, but for now we're happy to have our sourdough, cinnamon and peanut butter toasts, as well as quick quesadillas back on the menu.
6 comments:
Yeah. I still don't understand why you would want hot chocolate today. You must live at the North Pole.
well, we live in an arid climate where the lows have been in the mid40s and 50s. Today the high is back in the 90s though so our hint of fall was short lived. : )
Ben Franklin would be proud of you, Holly... and so am I! ("a penny saved is a penny earned")
Too many people just toss stuff in the trash out of convenience.
Yes, very impressive, Holly. Especially in this 'disposable society' in which we now live. Do people even fix TV and radios and other appliances anymore or do they throw them away.
I had two thoughts about this post. One is that I can see Garrett pulling some kind of stunt like like in a few months. The other is that I probably would have used it as an excuse to get a new one because of it's age and because there probably would have been SOMEthing I didn't like about it anyway. So good for you on not giving up on it and making it useful once again!
STOP IT. CRAZY boy!!
Post a Comment