Saturday, September 13, 2008

Politics

I wrote a post earlier in the week about my take on the election thus far. But when I re-read it I thought it was lame and didn't really get at whatever point I was trying to make.

So here's my second attempt, in bullet form, on
Ten Things I Think I Think About The Campaign Thus Far:

1. I think Sarah Palin's selection as Vice President for John McCain is the most interesting thing that's happened to the presidential campaign this fall. It's completely changed the dynamics and shaken things up.

2. Experience (in any of the candidates) is over rated and somewhat irrelevant. Once you get to the White House, you're surrounded by advisors and experts and staffers who get you the information you lack to make the best decisions for this country. We recently watched Thirteen Days about JFK and the Cuban missile crisis. It was an interesting juxtoposition on the issue of what role the president plays as commander in chief in world crisis situations.

3. The issue of "fixing the economy" is another one that bugs me. The American economy is such a ginarmous black box of trillion dollar debt and interest rates and all that. It will take a lot more than one person's ideas on how to fix things. Every little bit helps, but it's very conceited to think that the President has some super natural power to make it all better.

4. The media is really annoyed that they didn't "have a say" in McCain's running mate. They had plans for all the other names they'd vetted as possibilities. He chose an outsider and now the media is openly hostile about it. I think the feminists are ticked too that she's not playing by their rules.

5. Because Palin is an outsider she's getting the 3rd degree on many issues reporters wouldn't even broach with other candidates. Here's some insight by UPI's Martin Sieff (courtesy of Matt). Charlie Gibson's interviews these past few days make him come across as a scornful condescending bully. Sure he's vetting her out and that's fine, but the unrealistic standard he has on some of his questions were a little over the top. My favorite touche of the interview was her pushing back when he asked about her quote on not being involved with the Iraq war. I can't find the quote but the gist of it was "That answer I gave then was appropriate for the conversation on business in Alaska and what I was doing as governor of my state to support the war in Iraq."

6. Also the whole "Bush Doctrine gotcha moment" where Palin clearly didn't know what he meant by the Bush Doctrine and 95% of those listening couldn't have answered the question either. (Matt interjects: I don't know if Bush himself knows what the Bush Doctrine is.) This article in the Washington Post by Charles Krauthammer hit the nail on the head. I especially liked his concluding paragraph
Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted. In doing so, he captured perfectly the establishment snobbery and intellectual condescension that has characterized the chattering classes' reaction to the mother of five who presumes to play on their stage.

7. Before Palin was nominated I was feeling very apathetic about the campaign and didn't care for either candidate. Some of Obama's notions seem all talk and little substance. Some of McCain's rhetoric seems far from reform and changing the ways of Washington. Both sides dug into eachother at their conventions. But Palin is interesting and different and she seems to value some of the same things I do. But she is not the Presidential nominee. She is a great asset to McCain's ticket because people or looking past him and straight at her. And she seems very forthright and open, but don't we all hope our politicians are that way, even if they turn out differently in the end.

8. I do wonder at her being able to attend to her family's needs and serve her country in such a big way, but I've known some amazing women who seem to balance it all. Who are the media or public to question how a woman and mother chooses to care for her family? There are many fathers who stay with the kids while the mother works outside the home. I don't see the numerous mothers who are CEO's and lawyers and doctors and what not being grilled on this. The higher standard women are held to bothers me, but at the same time wants me to say "We Can Do It". It's mixed feelings for me of believing strongly in motherhood but also the right for a women to choose their own path.

9. It's really late and my brain power is fading along with my laptop battery power. Politically I am a cynical moderate with conservative views and liberal leanings.

10. I said ten things so here's my last thought/caveat: I'll probably think differently about the whole thing in another week or two. I think either candidate will do good things in office to try and help the economy and to make changes. But how they each plan to go about it is the real question.

10.5
One of my favorite images I found on a comment somewhere was Governor Palin wearing her infant son in a pouch. Go babywearers! And according to this link nursing/pumping too.

5 comments:

Denise said...

1. I think people are looking more at Palin because McCain is so old. But, look at his mother. He's got a lot of time left.

2. I think Palin is so interesting. I was one of those "sexists" that wondered how she could deal with her family with all of their upcoming problems and hold such a high office, but once I heard her speak she really changed my mind. She is really hard core. I like her. She makes me think that I could do something great like she is doing.

3. I totally agree about the experience thing. Although, it does really concern me that Palin only has a Bachelor's degree. I mean, that is what I have and I know it has held me back in some jobs that I have wanted and am looking forward to going back to school. I really think someone in that high of an office needs to have some law experience. The legislation are so complicated...

4. As you probably know from reading my posts, I am just sick at all the twisting of "truths" that is happening on both sides of the campagins, and even from lay people posting on the internet. I'm looking forward to hearing the candidates speak for themselves in a debate.

5. I am also sad that people can't share opinions w/o offending each other. My friend wrote a post called, "Why Dems logo is a jackass". All I commented was, "hey, hey hey :)" and they deleted my comment! Crazy.

5.5. I LOVE that you added a 10.5!!!

Denise said...

In number 3, I meant to say, "The legislation IS so complicated." That is what my Bachelor's degree education gets me :)

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I really appreciate this post. I have been bombarded lately with anti-Palin stuff....and however I still don't know any of these people well enough to trust, I think you have a very good take on it all. :)

Anonymous said...

A. I like my politics with a strong dose Jefferson and a touch of Jackson. People who want to serve in government should not be vilified for not having Washington experience. To see the beltway crowd and the media react to Palin with such hostility was worrisome.

B. To the American political process, I say: change your ways: be not afraid to nominate to national and state offices - your city council members, your small town mayors, your farmers and business leaders, mommies and grandmommies, the intellectuals and the populists, the rich and poor, the working class and the leisure class. Citizens should serve in elected office, it is not a playground for career pols.

C. Good leaders can come from anywhere and good government stems from good ideas. The more diverse the political gene pool the better we are.

D. A process that suspicions someone like Palin simly because she was a small town mayor and a short time governor of a sparsely populated state is worrisome.

Far better for the strength and longevity of our democracy is to debate Palin -- and any future candidates from the 'outside' -- on the merits of their ideas, their stance on the issues and the stature of their character.

F. There are positions in our county government here in Northern California that require a vote of the people in order to have those positions filled. Problem is no one wants to stand for for those offices. Sure, they are small potato positions but this is symptomatic of something larger, I fear. We are loosing our sense of civic duty and that is far more troublesome to my eye than any other issue on the national political landscape.

Sincerely,

Your humble and faithful 'public' servant

Jana said...

I'll keep my comments brief because I could go on all day about Palin. You already know my political leanings, which I know already colors my view of her. I feel like McCain bringing her on board was an obvious ploy to try and get some of the Hillary votes. I am a true blue feminist, and I would LOVE to see a female VP, but I abhor the idea of her taking a position like this when her family needs her more. If it were her husband on the ticket, I'd feel the same way. That family needs two parents right now--she can paint whatever picture she wants, but her family will not have access to her if elected to office. I find her environmental views disdainful. And the prospect of an individual with so little foreign policy experience one step away from the presidency frightens me. If we were a)not currently engaged in a war and b)not suffering from a tarnished international reputation from the past 8 years, I might be a little more open to giving some inexperience a try. Now is not the time to experiment.

Thanks for the dialogue, Holly.