Monday, September 01, 2008

There's something about the Fall...

I love the fall. I love the crisp mornings and pleasant afternoons. I love noticing one afternoon that the slant of the sun is lower and more golden earlier in the day. I love the end of August and early September harvests, the transition between seasons. I feel like baking apple crisps and pies and breads and soups and stews. I love sliding on my favorite pair of jeans and sweater for the first time. Cracking the window at night for that cool breeze. Burning scented candles in the evening. Making hot chocolate again. I love cuddling in the hammock with a cool breeze and a warm blanket. And of course I love the fall colors in the trees and flowers. (for the record I haven't done ALL of these things already, but I'm anticipating the ones I haven't yet)

This fall, though, I am missing the East Coast. I keep finding myself feeling the fall changes yet lacking the sights of turning maples and red brick buildings and low rolling hillsides gilt with golds and reds and oranges. Instead I see the gold and green of the California hillsides. The cottonwoods are a bit more yellow at the end of their season. And although it's still early autumn, I'm not holding my breath for a big color change. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But for now I'm hankering after a big pile of leaves in the backyard and a drive up to the Laurel Highlands of western PA.

I rarely decorate my house except for the fall and Christmas. I can put the decor up in September and it lasts until the week after Thanksgiving when we start putting up the lights. I love pots of chrysanthemums, fat pumpkins, stalks of corn, garlands of leaves, and bumpy crookneck squashes. With our resident deer population here, I'm hesitant to put much on the front steps. They may think I'm hosting dinner! ; )

7 comments:

erinmalia said...

well as someone currently on the east coast, let me tell you that you aren't missing a thing...yet. today's high is in low 90s. it's definitely some time before it will be fall here.

Kellie said...

We've had some hints of what's to come, but yeah, right now it's pretty much still summer. So, I'll send lots of pictures, and you can tell us about autumn in the mountains. Miss you, friend.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

oh yes fall is here now, at least for this week!!! :) sorry you are missing the east. trees will turn soon and maybe that will make you feel more at home.

Cami said...

Fall . . . I'll wait until it's not in the 90s to celebrate. But I am SO looking forward to the changing leaves! (Still a month till that happens too.)

Denise said...

You must take this post down! You may post it again in 2-3 weeks, but I may not come back to your blog until then. The summer is still here! I stand by this statement.

Mary Sunshine said...

Ooooohhhhhh!!!!! I totally agree! Thanks for painting such a beautiful picture in words!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the fall in the East is such a wonderfully enchanting place. Supoosedly there are pockets of color along some trout streams in the fall up here and it is on my list to check out, but it will assuredly dissapoint in comparison!