Monday, May 07, 2007

Farewell, Flowery Yellow Couch

I am a sentimentalist. Especially when it comes to "things" and letting go. I know I'm not alone in this. It's hard for me to get rid of stuff that has strong memories and/or is still useful, even though I'm not using it. I've been doing better in some ways. But Bulky Trash Day is still better called Head-butting Day in our house.

Of course I'm fine with getting rid of the busted AC that we knocked out of the house last week. And the splintered wood with nails sticking out, the broken plastic lawn chairs or rotted picket border fence that won't stick back in the ground anytime soon, no problems there. But the black composter?? As soon as Matt pulled out of the driveway this morning and I saw that he'd put it in the pile, I raced out in my slippers and put it in the carport. Hee hee hee. Even if I don't use it, I know I can sell it or Freecycle it. And the old wooden window sashes we had replaced 2 years ago I was given one more year to sell, create or make whatever it is I think they are good for. I keep saying "cold frame" or "wall hanging".

This brings me to the flowery yellow couch. I posted it on Freecycle, but no one wanted it. Then I forgot to arrange a pick-up with AmVets or Value Village to come get it. So it is out there now, awaiting pickup with a FREE sign on it. Although I don't think anyone will take it. It's old. It's covered in little kid stains and crumbs and accidents. The cat has clawed at one corner. It's cushions are faded and worn. But it's still useful. It's still comfy. If we didn't need a sleeper sofa for guests we'd still be using it, sad as that may be. I just hate the thought of it going to the Bulky Trash Dump when it is NOT trash but still useful. All because I didn't take the initiative to donate it when I had the time.

So to make myself feel better, I'm eulogizing it here. This is the couch my husband bought for $25, including delivery, when he was living in a shared house before we met. This is the couch we snuggled on when we dated and where friends sat when we hosted Sunday Dinners at Matt's. This is the couch that came with us to our first little apartment together and served as the guest bed. This is the couch that actually matched the 70's olive green seat covers on my dining set because the couch too, came from 1978. Countless family snapshots and pictures of daddy sleeping with the baby were taken on this couch. Of course these thoughts all came through me when we moved it down to the basement a few months ago, but it was still in our possession. Now it sits at the curb, it's long life as a couch over. Sigh. Farewell Flowery Yellow Couch. Maybe someone will still pick it up this morning before the trash man cometh....
The couch waiting by the curb
In our house, before we finished painting

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've slept on that couch, and can vouch for it's comfyness. I really liked it, too. (and am not a fan of sofa beds). It had nice rouned-on-the-end shape to it I hadn't seen on other couches. And the color was FAR less offensive than most furniture of that era.
I'm not making this any easier, am I. Sorry.
You've done your duty, Holly. You've photographed it and eulogized it. You've made it immortal in our memories. That's all anyone could ask for an earthly treasure. Congratulations.

Kellie said...

I love that you recorded the memories that couch had a part in. Now it will live forever! If only you could somehow impart what a great couch it is on the "Free" sign-maybe the right person will sit in it and feel the vibes.

Corinne said...

I am sentimental as well. We have a couch with good stories down in our basement too (it's now our "jumping couch) and I'll be sad when it's gone. Great post!

Susan said...

We also have a $35 couch and I used to whine and complain about it's ugliness, but now as we get closer to replacing it I'm quiet, and realizing how much a part of our EVERY DAY it has been for the last 7 years! You have a good way with words Holly!

Cami said...

I'm always looking forward to getting rid of stuff, so when Amvets calls, I always say I'll have something for them--and then I forget. I'm sure they curse me every time, but I really do have good intentions!! I have furniture to get rid of though, and never thought of Amvets. There is no possible way our garbage man would take it.