I realized it's been almost a week since I posted last, so I figured I'd better say something! I've been wrapped up in reading Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China with every spare minute. Excellent excellent book!
On Saturday morning I went to a brunch at The Original Pancake House with some other moms to celebrate a friends upcoming birth. It is her 2nd and also a boy, so in lieu of a shower she suggested a morning out with breakfast and pedicures/manicures at a nearby salon. It was such a treat for everyone! We all brought favorite recipes as our gift to her, a few couldn't resist an outfit or toy, though ; ). It was a gorgeous morning and I felt very refreshed having had a meal out without children, great conversation and some alone window-shopping time afterwards. A great bonus for Mother's Day weekend.
The morning had a bit of a rocky start though: Matt had suggested hitting the plant sale at the nearby high school at 8AM before I left for my morning out. After loading the kids quickly into the van we realized the battery was completely dead. I couldn't even shift into neutral to back out of the carport! Fortunately the cables were long enough to reach Matt's truck that he had to drive onto the grass. I didn't think they'd reach across the carport railing AND two flower beds! Good to know for next time... (Evalyn had left the dome light on. Needless to say I've been extra vigilant about checking the last several days!)
After arriving in two cars at the plant sale (since I'd have to leave from there at this point) we realized neither of us had any cash and the plant sale would definitely not take debit! By the time we returned from getting cash there was only time to switch cars and send me on my way. Definitely the craziest hour of a Saturday morning we'd had in a while!
I was sad to have missed choosing some plants, but Matt made out very well. When I got home later that day he'd planted his selections and brightened our yard that much more. What a man!
The next morning Matt made breakfast and had a huge present and cards on the table for me. Evalyn was very excited for me to open them. (In fact, the day before she "accidentally" told me "We got you a special pillow!" so I had a hunch what it was.) I was so excited! A Tempur-pedic body pillow for my blossoming belly! It is quite comfy and I broke it in soon after arriving home from church later that day. : D Other than that I just read my book and relaxed in my hammock. A perfect Mother's Day, although I did feel a bit guilty indulging in ME so much rather than my children who made me a mother in the first place!
3 comments:
That hammock in your yard is a miracle. I'm so glad you had a reading-filled day :)
What a nice Mothers' Day weekend! It's good that you've documented it for those days when you might feel sorry for yourself (like a less-than-perfect mothers day of the future.
Which reminds me... I know you said something about having a book created from your blog someday, but shouldn't you also just copy and paste, maybe on a weekly or monthly basis, into a document you can save on your hard drive and/or other medium in case some catastrophe unexpectedly prevents access to your blog?
Experience has taught me to like contingency plans
Great mother's day! I am still not done with Wild Swans, but it's really fantastic. I'll get there one day!
Post a Comment