Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Garden is Planted

A bit later than I'd originally planned, but we finally have vegetables in the newly fenced in garden area. It cost bit more since I hadn't started anything from seed, one step at a time though...

Since we had an "extra" day with our shortened camping trip, we took advantage of the gorgeous weather to work in the yard. While Henry napped and Matt cut the grass, Evalyn and I ventured to Meadows Farms and bought flowers and veggies. It was a lovely morning with sunshine and light breezes. Evalyn wanted to put all the pink flowers she came across in the wagon. She was overly helpful at every stop. Unfortunately, their herb section was lacking in basil and parsley. So we stopped in at Lowe's later that day on another errand.

Last spring I started a perennial bed with the help of my mom. Sadly a few of my favorites didn't make it. So I got to pick out a new Coreopsis, Dianthus, and replaced a "whirling butterfly" (Gaura) with some Bee Balm. I also added some Dahlias and Zinnias, even though they're annuals, I've never grown them before and figured this was as good a spot as any! : )


For the vegetables I scaled back our 4 tomato plants last year to just 2, and planted some peas and carrots from seed, 2 cucumber plants, 2 zucchini squashes, 4 cantaloupes and a watermelon. Matt planted some corn that will hopefully come up soon. We were hoping for our own pumpkin, but ran out of room. Maybe next year....

Garden

6 comments:

Cami said...

Way to go! I hope everything turns out and you can grow vegetable soup!

Heather said...

Good for you! I can't wait to get down to Oregon and do some of my own gardening. Evalyn's obsession with pink is pretty funny. Glad you got so much done!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I will probably wish we didn't have so many tomato plants. But there's always someone to give the extras to. We still don't have a lot of our garden in,but this IS Memeorial day weekend, so I have hope.
Sure wish I could just zip out there more often!

Kellie said...

It looks great. Evanlyn gave me a tour of the garden while I was visiting, and she knew what most of the plants were. I guessed you had a pumpkin started and she jumped up and down excitedly and said, "Nope, guess again! Its a WATERMELON!"

Corinne said...

WOW. I cannot wait to see how it does!

holly said...

Kellie-- thanks for sharing that anecdote about Evalyn. It gave me a huge smile. : D