Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ode to Cal Tort

Our family's favorite place to eat out is California Tortilla, or Cal Tort, as we affectionately say. We love their burritos, Matt's usual is the Crunchy BBQ Ranch. Of late I like the plain Black Bean and Cheese. For the kids we get a side of black beans and rice with 2 small tortillas and water in the kids cups. And we always get the combo with Chips and Queso, or cheese sauce as Evalyn calls it. This is her favorite part of the meal: CHEESE SAUCE. When we tell her we're going to Cal Tort for lunch/dinner she says "And we're going to get cheese sauce!" with the biggest grin on her sweet face.

Eating in is preferred to take out for many reasons. The best is that the messy beans and rice stay on the restaurant floor and not ours. You get to hear the latest British metal bands on the piped in music, as well as the best of the 90's. Free refills. High chairs and boosters. And the Crunchy BBQ Ranch burrito is still crunchy and the chips still hot. Our family of four can eat out for under 16 bucks. Woo hoo! Besides, it feels good to support a local DC Metro chain as opposed to McDonald's or Wendy's. Plus I'm pretty sure it's a lot healthier! California Tortilla

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like a winner. I'm in the throes of reading Fast Food Nation, and with every page I'm less and less inclined to eat fast food. But I guess there are a few socially responsible chains out there.

Corinne said...

Hey - a friend just told me about this place. We need to try it!